Insulation in my walls or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newguy777

Dec 4, 2014
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a new Englander NC30 wood stove. I placing the wood stove in a three sided alcove where there used to be a wet bar. I had to tear out some of the drywall in the alcove in order to cut back the plumbing, redo some electrical, etc. Before I put back new drywall I wanted to ask if anyone knows whether I should put some new Roxul fire resistant insulation inside the walls. Two of the walls are interior walls, and the third wall is the exterior wall where the stove pipe will exit. I was thinking of atleast insulated the exterior wall to protect the concrete block wall foundation from extreme temperatures.

thanks everyone.

A little roxul wouldn't hurt. It is fire proof and you'd certainly get a better heat efficiency from your stove if you insulate the exterior wall. I say go for it!

Pictures would help.....

Andrew

I would guess it wouldn't matter what you insulate with . . . in terms of fire resistance -- as long as you meet clearance specs you're golden and in terms of protecting the wall from the extreme temps -- any insulation should work for that purpose I would imagine. That said, I am not a professional builder or energy conservationist type person . . . just a dumb firefighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.