Insulation material for block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LONDONDERRY

May 23, 2008
New Hampshire
This is my 2nd heating season and last year I made a block off plate out of sheet metal for a stove insert, but I did not add a batt of insulation on the block off plate. This year I plan to correct this. However, before I proceed, can anyone tell first is insulation required and if so what material to use. I was considering Kaowool but before I make the purchase I want to see if someone else can recommend something else.

Regard
Frank

Technically, block off plate, nor insulation required.
Block off plate still a very good idea and added safety factor, so kudos to that decision.
If the top plate is sealed off and the block off plate also sealed off, insulation is not a necessity, as its is now dead air space, and that also acts as an insulator.
I re-used the old rockwool off the slammer install block off plate from the insert I tore out. It isn't purdy, and not sure it covers ever square inch on top of the plate.
If you want to insulate, use rockwool, kawool or any other fire/temp rated insulation. Fiberglass is frowned upon due to its melting point not being near or equal to code chimney temp ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.