Insulation on top of secondary tubes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mj5001

Oct 15, 2011
United States
I have a Drolet 1400 insert and on top of the secondary air tubes at the top of the fire chamber (there are 3 of them), there is a piece of vermiculite? (whatever) and on top of that is a piece of insulation that doesn't look like mineral wool but actually more like a fiberglass about 1 1/2" thick. Also there is a weight that holds down this insulation that is located right under the chimney outlet.

What is the purpose of this insulation?

I disassembled all this and cleaned out the chimney yesterday but wondering (A) what the insulation is for and (B) whether I should replace it (if so, with what?)

Many thanks for any help.

does it look like it needs replaced? Post a pic of it you might get better responses. It is there to help keep the firebox temperatures up

It's less than a year old -- so no, it doesn't look bad. I guess this is called baffle insulation -- I see some manufacturers use it, some don't. But it sounds like it's important?

You will probably have to replace it eventually and yes it can be very important if the engineers want it there it needs to be there. As far as what to use without seeing it i cant say we usually just use ceramic wool insulation blanket but that is either 1/2" or 1" thick

I'm asking because I could use a bit better draft and wondering if removing it would help.

As long as it is in there properly removing it should not improve draft really and could hurt preformance in other ways

Sounds like baffle insulation (baffle blanket) . . . used to keep the temps up higher in the firebox . . . if so . . . it's there for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.