Insulation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAJerry

Feb 12, 2006
Waterford, PA
I would like some opinions about adding a 1 inch blanket of kaowool (ceramic fiber) over the top of my insert when it is installed. It seems to me that it might make more heat available to the blower duct and put more heat out into the room instead of into the masonry. My only concern is that it might somehow cause the insert to over-heat. I have access to this material at my work and was told to take it if I want since I only need about a 24"x15" piece to cover the top.

If the insert isnt designed with it, i would not add it. You would probalby void the warrenty. Talk to the dealer and see what they recommend. I would think it would easly cause it to overheat.. thats just specuation.
Ryan

I used this material to insulate above the block off plate which covered the damper throat area. No issues so far, no way this stuff will catch fire, it is designed for lining kiilns. Should keep the heat from escaping up from there. As far as heat escaping into the masonry itself, that isn't such a bad thing, as the masonry will radiate it back into the room.

As far as putting it directly above the insert itself, I'd check with the manufacturer about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.