Insulation shield question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wally665

Oct 3, 2014
Livonia, MI
Hi,

First time installer/wood stove owner. I purchased a englander 17vl and a supervent pipe system from Menards. Unfortunately another person grabbed the last insulation shield they had at Menards while I was standing there. I have a ranch style home and will be doing a through attic installation. I have a low pitch roof and there is only about twenty inches from the top of the drywall ceiling to the roof line. Can I just frame in this area with plywood, leaving a air gap at the top (keeping in mind the 2 inch minimum from the chimney pipe)?

Yes as long as clearances are honored or exceeded it should be ok. Before closing it up, be sure that the ceiling support box is vacuumed clean and there's no sawdust or wood shavings in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.