Insulation Source

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpirger

Minister of Fire
May 23, 2010
Ithaca NY Area
That is about what it costs local here.

I did all mine with foam though, like this: http://store03.prostores.com/servle.../the-469/Rubber-pipe-insulation-tubing/Detail

R value is about the same I was told, but the foam is cheaper ($2-4 for an 8ft stick). Also if the fiberglass gets wet (small leak, condensation, etc) the R value is reduced to nearly 0. Only thing is the foam is only good to not much over 200*... on most boilers that is fine though... well other than steam heat.

On my oil boiler at least, you might want to use something other than foam near where the pipes comes out of the boiler including the pressure relief valve pipe. The foam melted there for less than 6".

Status
Not open for further replies.