Insulation stuffed up the chimney around the pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2009
West of Boston, MA
Hi, the installer put what looks like insulation around the pipe that goes up the chimney so the heat does not go up the chimney as it was doing. He is coming back to put a plate on it and move the stove out further from the fireplace but is this safe to have the insulation just hanging there? Are we being exposed to the fibers and cancer etc or is fire wool different than regular insulation. Worrisome really but he needs to get a certain pipe with the exact length we need so left it this way til he puts new pipe length and then will put the plate up but want to make sure we are not killing ourselves with this set up.

I don't think it's a problem. As long as you've cleaned up around there to remove any stray fibers and you don't disurb the insulation you'll be fine

sandie said:
Hi, the installer put what looks like insulation around the pipe that goes up the chimney so the heat does not go up the chimney as it was doing. He is coming back to put a plate on it and move the stove out further from the fireplace but is this safe to have the insulation just hanging there? Are we being exposed to the fibers and cancer etc or is fire wool different than regular insulation. Worrisome really but he needs to get a certain pipe with the exact length we need so left it this way til he puts new pipe length and then will put the plate up but want to make sure we are not killing ourselves with this set up.

Um yeah,........no. It's just sitting there waiting for him to come back. I'd be more concerned when it gets disturbed. For the SLIGHT amount of exposure you're liable to have, nothing to worry about. If you have respiratory problems, leave the house, or wear a mask while it's being worked on.
I think you'll be ok.

IT is visiable, and hanging down so we can see it, waiting for him to make the plate and get the extra piece of pipe to bring the stove out of the hearth area more. He pulled it out about 6" and it needs to come out about another 10" so he is getting an extra pipe. The heat off the stove is a radiated heat and that is going to the stones and we do not run it 24/7 so the heat is absorbed in stones instead of coming into the room. The hottest I have been able to get the room was 71 and that was for a few minutes. 68 is easier but now running a couple of hours and is 66.6 right now in this room and it does nothing to the rest of the rooms in small cape so want as much of the heat as possible off the stove. I even have a small fan behnd the stove pushing air into the room across the stove and sucking it from the hearth area.
The Firewool was not in when the pictures were taken so the heat was going straight up the chimney around the pipe to the plate at the top but lots of heat lost, how stopped by the fire wool but to our detriment?

Attachments

• stove in stone walls for net.jpg
    stove in stone walls for net.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 292
  • Stove in betw stone walls for net.jpg
    Stove in betw stone walls for net.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 254
Status
Not open for further replies.