Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biggins08

Sep 20, 2006
Springfield MA
Will re siding my house with a thick underlayer (3/4 inch) of of that insulated siding backing improve he overall draftiness of my house?

A Tyvek type house wrap would be very effective, and probably be easier to install/cheaper. Check door and window seals, and surrounding trim to be sure that that's not the problem. Good Luck.

With the climate in western MA, if you have less than R-19 in your walls, I would do it. If you have R-19 nor greater, I (personally) would not. The cost usually outweighs the gain after R-19 (unless you have blown-in cellulose now, then you may have a good deal of settling and may want to consider it as well). If you don't do the insulation, DEFINITELY do the Tyvek. If you do the insulation, definitely caulk ALL seams.

Status
Not open for further replies.