Insurance claim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
Anyone ever claim firewood with homeowners policy? We had a pretty nasty set of storms roll through and more are expected. All I can think about is my firewood in case it all gets scattered across 5 counties. Just out of curiosity. My wife emailed the insurance lady to find out. No word yet.

We lost some trees some time ago, and State Farm was like "Um, you're claiming those trees right?" Who knew?

You can claim trees on your property on your policy. Firewood why not. You need to have pictures documenting the amount of firewood you have. Then you will need to figure out market value. Give it a try.

Funny. We had 30 trees down from Sandy a couple of years ago. Not one piece of firewood was harmed. I had trees, hanging over stacks, but didn't knock any over.

I had a large tree come down in the back yard. State Farm had me get a quote to cut up and remove it ($800), then gave me the credit toward my $1000 deductable. Unfortunatly they denied almost everything else. The canoe was only covered if its stored inside, the roof rack is a car part so not covered under homeowners, same thing with the extra truck bed that got squashed.

At least I got to keep the fiewood.

I would think most storms that might be that bad, would surely bring copious amounts of replacement firewood from nearby neighbors. Besides knocking your stacks down, I don't think it would go too far.

I'd hate to make a claim that would follow me around for just firewood. Now add it to the to the roof, and other damage...

25 years ago lightning struck a big Tulip Poplar tree 800 feet from the house down in the woods by the driveway. When I was in the Allstate office giving them the check for homeowner's insurance I asked if the tree was covered and laughed. A month later I got a check in the mail for $500 for the claim.

The tree burned in the stove just fine.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.