Insurance companies in WI that will insure home with non-UL wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

oldfarmall

Aug 17, 2023
Wisconsin
Hello-

I have been using a late 1800's parlor wood stove in my home for about 35 years. Have had it refurbished twice in that time. Insurance company was ok with it in past, now they say I can only have a UL compliant stove. Kicker is, I can use it for one more heating season until they drop me in June 2024.

I get that it is not efficient like a newer airtight stove. What irritates me is that because it doesn't have UL sticker, it may be non-usable even if all clearances and codes are met.

Are there any insurance companies out there that will insure a home with an non-UL wood stove anymore in Wisconsin? I am really bummed out about this, as the stove goes well with our 1800's farmhouse and is beautiful. Thanks in advance for any insight!

-Jesse

Allstate?

Very likely none...or if they will it will be so expensive that you'd be better off /cheaper updating your stove

Reactions: hobbyheater
Very likely none...or if they will it will be so expensive that you'd be better off /cheaper updating your stove
Or the agent will tell you oh yeah that will be fine even though it isnt.

Reactions: coaly
Hello-

I have been using a late 1800's parlor wood stove in my home for about 35 years. Have had it refurbished twice in that time. Insurance company was ok with it in past, now they say I can only have a UL compliant stove. Kicker is, I can use it for one more heating season until they drop me in June 2024.

I get that it is not efficient like a newer airtight stove. What irritates me is that because it doesn't have UL sticker, it may be non-usable even if all clearances and codes are met.

Are there any insurance companies out there that will insure a home with an non-UL wood stove anymore in Wisconsin? I am really bummed out about this, as the stove goes well with our 1800's farmhouse and is beautiful. Thanks in advance for any insight!

-Jesse
Here is a picture of my setup.

27798223530893779121692319180020.jpg 89404128762292192891692319214822.jpg

Try Acuity Ins. Sheboygan Wi.

Reactions: Nate R
Is this stove used for most of the winter's heating or just used for supplemental heating? How much wood are you going through during your average burning season? Is your wood seasoned/dry? Why wouldn't you want to try a modern stove? You could burn less wood for the same amount of heat which means less work for you.

Reactions: Itslay90
Is this stove used for most of the winter's heating or just used for supplemental heating? How much wood are you going through during your average burning season? Is your wood seasoned/dry? Why wouldn't you want to try a modern stove? You could burn less wood for the same amount of heat which means less work for you.
Hello-
The stove is used for most of the winter heating. We have a hot water boiler with cast iron radiators as supplement and backup when we are away and not using the wood stove.

Main reason we have kept using this stove is no creosote buildup in chimney and sentimental reasons. My father bought the refurbished 1800's parlor stove in the late 1980's. Have been using it ever since to heat the house. Can fit a 26" log in the fire box. Easy to clean and remove ashes. Yes, it burns inneficiently, but I never have to go up on my 1800's two story steel roof house in the winter and clean the chimney. Flue is always clean as a whistle.

I burn a mixture of hardwood, mostly red oak and black cherry. Also burn alot of box elder, as we have it everywhere on the farm.

Reactions: qwee
Hello-
The stove is used for most of the winter heating. We have a hot water boiler with cast iron radiators as supplement and backup when we are away and not using the wood stove.

Main reason we have kept using this stove is no creosote buildup in chimney and sentimental reasons. My father bought the refurbished 1800's parlor stove in the late 1980's. Have been using it ever since to heat the house. Can fit a 26" log in the fire box. Easy to clean and remove ashes. Yes, it burns inneficiently, but I never have to go up on my 1800's two story steel roof house in the winter and clean the chimney. Flue is always clean as a whistle.

I burn a mixture of hardwood, mostly red oak and black cherry. Also burn alot of box elder, as we have it everywhere on the farm.
A modern stove will burn cleaner. The only reason your getting no buildup now is all of the heat that is being wasted out the chimney carries the creosote with it.

Reactions: Itslay90 and qwee
AAA and Auto Owners Group did when I still had my old stove.

A modern stove will burn cleaner. The only reason your getting no buildup now is all of the heat that is being wasted out the chimney carries the creosote with it.
How much heat do you lose with a pre epa wood burning stove, would you say 50 percent?

How much heat do you lose with a pre epa wood burning stove, would you say 50 percent?
It depends on the stove. An old one like this I would guess is 20 maybe 30% to the 80% ones of today

Reactions: Itslay90
Damn, people need to stop wasting wood, and get a modern stove
But there are some stoves that were far more efficient than this one made pre epa though

Do you know any ?
Vermont castings were much better. Cawley Lemay had some very efficient ones at the time. Earthstove had some early secondary combustion ones. I am sure there were others

oldfarmall,​

One of these Woodstock Absolute Steel hybrid wood stoves would look nice on your round hearth.

oldfarmall,​

One of these Woodstock Absolute Steel hybrid wood stoves would look nice on your round hearth.

I personally really dislike the looks of the absolute steel. Great stoves I just don't like the look

Ya, the absolute steel is a hit or miss on looks either way. I worked as a science teacher for a while on the Navajo Indian reservation so I kind of have a soft spot for those and the Navajo stove.

Reactions: bholler
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Since most are recommending a new stove, school me about creosote buildup in the chimney. I was under the impression that you get creosote buildup in the chimney flue from the gases cooling too quickly. If I have a modern stove and choke it down to preserve the burn, say when you go to bed at night, wont that cause creosote to build up in the chimney flue? I never had to worry about this in the past as my inefficient parlor stove wasted enough heat up the chimney to prevent this.

Another question, my masonry chimney with flue liner has an opening to accept a 6" stovepipe. The flue is a 8" square liner. My understanding is I need to use a stove that has a 6" stovepipe to the chimney to get proper draft? One would assume they still make modern stoves with an outlet in 6"? Thanks

-Jesse

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Since most are recommending a new stove, school me about creosote buildup in the chimney. I was under the impression that you get creosote buildup in the chimney flue from the gases cooling too quickly. If I have a modern stove and choke it down to preserve the burn, say when you go to bed at night, wont that cause creosote to build up in the chimney flue? I never had to worry about this in the past as my inefficient parlor stove wasted enough heat up the chimney to prevent this.

Another question, my masonry chimney with flue liner has an opening to accept a 6" stovepipe. The flue is a 8" square liner. My understanding is I need to use a stove that has a 6" stovepipe to the chimney to get proper draft? One would assume they still make modern stoves with an outlet in 6"? Thanks

-Jesse
Modern stoves burn up far more of the available combustible materials in the wood sending less into the chimney. That means you can run at a much lower exhaust temp keeping more btus in the house while still keeping the chimney clean. And yes most new stoves are 6" but you should have your chimney fully inspected with a camera for condition and checked for clearances. After all that time using this stove chances are the clay is damaged or deteriorated and should be replaced regardless of stove choice

Modern stoves burn up far more of the available combustible materials in the wood sending less into the chimney. That means you can run at a much lower exhaust temp keeping more btus in the house while still keeping the chimney clean. And yes most new stoves are 6" but you should have your chimney fully inspected with a camera for condition and checked for clearances. After all that time using this stove chances are the clay is damaged or deteriorated and should be replaced regardless of stove choice
Not to mention that a round 6" insulated SS liner will draft better, and stay cleaner too.

Reactions: bholler
Yeah the old potbelly stoves can waste a lot of heat up the flue but they can also throw off a ton of radiant heat! If you go with a new stove you may want to look for more of a radiant stove if you prefer that kind of heat. Most modern stoves are heavily shielded and block most of that radiant heat for closer clearances.

If your a Vet check with USAA.