Insurance extra cost for wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n6crv

Feeling the Heat
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale Co. Michigan
Hello, I thought since we have a nice new stove and chimney that I should let our agent know. Well she came out and took a couple of pictures and clearances. Then said we never had a rider for a wood stove. I can't believe that as we went thru the same thing 22 years ago and they took pictures at that time also. So I get a new bill today saying that it is going to cost me $31.50 extra for the rider for the stove. Does that seem like the correct price? Guess I should be happy that I called if I really did not have insurance for the stove. About 5 years ago had a chimney fire or should I say a magic heat fire and they were going to pay for the fire call. It would seem like would of said no to the call if the stove was not covered. Never did file a claim as did not was the insurance to go up. Should I just pay the $31.50 or start checking around for new insurance?
Don

I called and let my insurance agent know last year when we installed our insert and they didn't really care. I think they asked if it was professionally installed (just to confirm their assumption it was) but that was it. No change in premiums.

Some insurance companies will not insure with a wood stove. Some have riders. Some just accept it. Ours just required another false wall with an air space.

I'd maybe shop around but $31.50 isn't bad for a rider, so maybe you'd be best to keep what you have.

Dunadan said:
I called and let my insurance agent know last year when we installed our insert and they didn't really care. I think they asked if it was professionally installed (just to confirm their assumption it was) but that was it. No change in premiums.

same here but even if they went up 3 dollars a month it's worth it - heck mine went up 20 bucks because i smoke

Hello, thanks for the info. I think we are going to try and stay with the insurance we have now. The price I guess is really not that bad. Thanks again for all your replies.
Don

I called mine and they said that they "wondered what all that info I faxed them was" and did I follow the clearance specs, etc. They were not interested at all, which upset me, because I am betting about 225k that I did it right :bug: . I did explain that I exceeded the manufacturers recommended clearances, etc. but for them a verbal notification was enough. I would definitely keep your company, pay the extra, and sleep well at night.

Just my 2 pennies.
Bob

Hello Coaster, we are with State Farm for both house and auto. We do get 10% off both but not really happy with them. They for some reason changed the deductible from $100.00 to $500.00 for the homeowners a couple years ago. Did not see any great lower in cost. When they did that we check around to change Ins and had trouble finding anyone that wanted a wood stove on the policy. So just stayed were we were. I'm going to call tomorrow and talk to them, they were at the our country fair today.
Don

It will vary state by state as to how an insurer will react to having any wood burning stove in your house - whether it's for primary or secondary heat.

I would just say... ABSOLUTELY make sure the agent/broker/direct writer/whomever knows about the installation in writing. If they bump the premium up a bit, then you can do some shopping for coverage, but if the worst were to happen - at least you wouldn't be left out in the cold and give them a leg to stand on by denying a claim.

I notified my old company and they opted to trya nd jack my annual premium by about 70%...their computer's stance seemed to be that it didn't think installing a wood burning applicance in a log cabin was a particulalry bright thing to do. Not being one who is in the habit of arguing with a computer that I can't reach the outlet for, let alone the human sitting in front of the computer, I called my auto carrier instead and went through the whole shebang only to find out rather pleasantly that they annual premium for identical coverage with the woodstove was about $100/year less than my old carrier's premium without the woodstove.

They did ask me if the rear of the stove was more than 3 feet from the nearest wall, I answered no but explained that it was more than the manufacturer's recommended clearance as well as exceeding state and local building code for all clearances to combustibles. They seemed fine with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.