Insurance for commercial pellet boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richardin52

Mar 28, 2008
A farm in Maine
I just put a Treager PB 150 pellet boiler in an apartment house. Because I am the first person in my area to put a pellet boiler into an apartment house two news papers printed a story about it. Yesterday I had several calls from other apartment owners who have been told by their insurance agent they would not allow them to put a similar boiler in an apartment house unless it was occupied by them. One of these people has the same agent I have. I had not checked with them because I figured so long as everything meets code there would not be a problem.

Yesterday I sent my agent a certified letter explaining to them I have put in this boiler, that the room the unit is in has 5/8 fire code sheet rock on the walls and ceiling, that I have a sprinkler in the room and the pellet boiler is set up to work in conjunction with my oil boiler.

I also told them the pellet boiler has a listing stamp showing that it has been tested and approved by a third party testing lab. It was installed by a Maine Licensed Master oil and solid fuel person, that I am a state licensed plumbing and Building inspector and that the boiler was installed per code.

I also explained to them that I checked my policy and could see no where that prohibited the use of pellet fuel boilers and asked if there were such a section that they respond in writing and send me a copy of that section together with the section and page numbers. I asked that they do this within 5 working days so that I can find other insurance for my building without a lapse of insurance.

I figure they may as well sh—or get off the pot. I want to know if I am insured before something happens.

Two questions;
Does anyone else have a boiler in a commercial situation?
Who are they insured with?

Status
Not open for further replies.