Insurance issues--cutting trees down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Besides damaging personal property, what are the insurance issues with cutting trees on someone's property? I have a lady on Southern NH who wants some trees taken down on her property--they're all easy drops and far away from any structures, but am I missing something I need to consider?

Thanks,

S

Just do it right.
Then no issues.

Usually the issues are legal, as in liability. If structures aren't an issue then the issue is injuring yourself. I work in the Right of Way section for a water utility ('what's that got to do with the price of cheese?' you might say) well if it one thing i have learned; it is getting it in writing for Ingress/Egress (enterance) onto the property and for what activity you wish to do on the property. It may not happen yet your "little old lady" may well get upset once the trees are gone and look at you as a target.

Hand writing, 3 lines, sign and date. Your done.

Good luck

Ray

Its also good to drop, block and load. That way if some nut case tells you to get off their property, you don't have more than a truckload of work invested on the ground.

bogydave said:
Just do it right.
Then no issues.

Bad advice. Accidents happen to even the most cautios and safety minded among us, that is a fact.

Best thing to do is probably to sign a waiver that limits your liability as well as that of the property owner. Spell out what you're doing, where and what the impact to the property is likely to be. Make sure to note that you're assuming your own liability for you personal well being and that you're not going to hold the property owner liable for your own carelessness.

No document can really stand up to scrutiny in court and pretty much any contract can be nullifed by a good attorney, but by spelling alot of it out and having both parties sign it, you cna feel a bit better and the property owner can rest a little easier too. If it came to it, a judge could read the document and see that both parties knew what they were getting into and can opt to throw out any frivilous suit.

The time I scrounged on someone else's property, I offered to sign a liability waiver that if I hurt myself with my saw or by lifting something too heavy that I wouldn't hold them responsible. I also stated that I wouldn't take my truck off their driveway and that I'd do my best to clean my mess up.

My biggest fear (If I were the landowner) would be your suing me should you get hurt and neither of us have insurance to cover hospital bills.

More and more are insisting on liability insurance.

The liability insurance I carry is getting terribly expensive.
One more thing towards making running a business harder.

I've had mini-bike owners ask for permission to ride on my property and my lawyer insists that I don't do it.
Even with a release from indemnity(or whatever they call it).

thinkxingu said:
Besides damaging personal property, what are the insurance issues with cutting trees on someone's property? I have a lady on Southern NH who wants some trees taken down on her property--they're all easy drops and far away from any structures, but am I missing something I need to consider?

Thanks,

S

One possible issue is business pursuits. If you are getting paid to remove trees and you have a homeowners policy, you probably have no coverage (for anything... property damage or bodily injury).

I agree with bogydave because there is really no other viable alternative except to stay indoors on the couch. It's sad that we must address these questions before helping a landowner in need.

mayhem said:
bogydave said:
Just do it right.
Then no issues.

Bad advice. Accidents happen to even the most cautios and safety minded among us, that is a fact.

Best thing to do is probably to sign a waiver that limits your liability as well as that of the property owner. Spell out what you're doing, where and what the impact to the property is likely to be. Make sure to note that you're assuming your own liability for you personal well being and that you're not going to hold the property owner liable for your own carelessness.

No document can really stand up to scrutiny in court and pretty much any contract can be nullifed by a good attorney, but by spelling alot of it out and having both parties sign it, you cna feel a bit better and the property owner can rest a little easier too. If it came to it, a judge could read the document and see that both parties knew what they were getting into and can opt to throw out any frivilous suit.

The time I scrounged on someone else's property, I offered to sign a liability waiver that if I hurt myself with my saw or by lifting something too heavy that I wouldn't hold them responsible. I also stated that I wouldn't take my truck off their driveway and that I'd do my best to clean my mess up.

I grew up at the wrong time, where your word &/or a hand shake meant something.
If you have legal fears, don't do it.

mayhem is RIGHT, don't do it without a lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.