Insurance paper work question/

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aussieblake

Mar 4, 2008
Tornado Alley
For those of you that did you own install and had to fill out the insurance paper work. What did the insurance company say about you self performing the install.

The form I received asks "Was the stove professionally installed" the other option is "Installed by applicant to manufacturer's specifications". Obviously I would have to check the second box.

Clearances are more than adequate, and my state or AHJ does not perform inspections on these installations. It does ask if the install has been inspected by the Fire department, not sure they do that but will definitely check.

Just trying to avoid issues in dealing with the insurance company.

All responses are greatly appreciated.

aussieblake

aussieblake said:
The form I received asks "Was the stove professionally installed" the other option is "Installed by applicant to manufacturer's specifications". Obviously I would have to check the second box.

Clearances are more than adequate, and my state or AHJ does not perform inspections on these installations. It does ask if the install has been inspected by the Fire department, not sure they do that but will definitely check.

Just trying to avoid issues in dealing with the insurance company.

aussieblake

Tell them that the stove was installed according to local code and meets NFPA 211 if you are sure that the clearances are good and your chimney is good.

Ask the local fire department to come take a look at your stove. Most will do this for you. Make a record of the time, date, which shift of the department was on and write down the name of the person in charge.

That will satisfy most insurance companies.

Perhaps you could include as an enclosure with your paperwork a copy of the clearance requirements and a photo of your installation. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.