Insurance recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwheat

Nov 25, 2005
I was just declined by Hartford because of not having a central heat system. I have a woodstove
installed by a retailer to code.
Who are some of the companies you guys are insured with? Thanks

Insurance companies go by nunber chrunching. Other than Loyds of London, most do not think outside of the box.
There certaint amemidities each home should have, running water, electricity, Sewer disposal, and central heat, to mention a few
Your home does not have a central system so therefore it falls outside their ridgid box. They also look at your home in conventional terms of value. To them no central heating system reduces the value to the point where they deam it un insurable.

Technecially by code a home must be equiped with an automatic controled heating system. Wood stoves are considered space heaters and not automatic. However wood boilers are part of a central system and fullfill that requirements most are dual
fueled.
I applaud you for being independent,,of being tied into OPEC or national grid systems . You are living proof it can be done.
My recomendation to you is to shop insurance companies. I too like you, make a decent effort heating, that I cringe every time my boiler turns on.

This reminds me of another post in the ash can, where customers were surcharged for not using enough natural gas
Both situation s---k

I don't know where you're located, kwheat, but you might try Erie Insurance. They were pleased when we put in our insert and did away with the open fireplace. They cover a lot of rural PA and just might have a way to insure you. Good luck!

Elkimmeg, (not meaning to hijack this thread) could you elaborate on that last sentence in your post ?

I have gas, used only 10% last year out of a filled to 90% tank............not heard anything from them but they have not been back to fill yet either.

Robbie

Status
Not open for further replies.