Insurance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
watersupply851 said:
How has your experience been with notifying your insurance company regarding a new install. Especially if self installed??

They will require you to fill out a questionnaire and have the install inspected by the Fire Department.

Had no problems with insurance when stove was self installed. Had it inspected by the town and provided a copy to the insurance agent, no rate increase ether.

No inspection, Had a person from insurance co come out to take pictures, that's all

watersupply851 said:
How has your experience been with notifying your insurance company regarding a new install. Especially if self installed??

Hi Watersupply,
I just installed my own stove last December. I contacted my home owners insurance local agent for Erie and they were OK with self install as long as all specifications are followed. No inspection required after, plus no increase in policy $'s.

After install for a piece of mind I took pictures of stove in place plus pictures of all clearances with tape measure in place. Including vent exit.

I took this with a copy of sale invoice for stove and vent pipe plus Quadra Fire brochure with specs included.

They was very happy with install and gave me a change request to policy detailing the above.

Thanks,
Jon

My insurance carrier wanted a copy of the signed permits for their files.
No change in rates.

I just switched over to a different carrier this past summer and they requested
copies of the permits as well as the UL#.

Self install - we contacted the insurance company, informed them of the self install. No issue, no increase - they made a note on the policy. They recommended an inspection by the local fire department but did not require it.

They did ask for the UL#.

My insurance carrier was happy I had a pellet stove...no inspection needed ...

Every state is different .. we had to pull a permit and then have it inspected by the county. We have both our wood and pellet stove insured.

Status
Not open for further replies.