Int duty auger motors............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
Both auger motors on my 25PDVC are marked Int duty. I wonder if this has anything to do with so many bottom augers going bad or getting hot. Just something to think about.

Just to be on the safe side (as much as you can I guess) I bought one that was listed as continuous duty.

Seems to me INT DUTY would be made for the constant stop / start of an auger. Cont. duty would be for just running along, I think you'd have probs in auger application. BUT, that's just MY opinion.

Intermittent duty means the motor will overheat if run over a certain duty cycle and load - At low to medium feed rates, either motor will work fine and the intermittent will be cheaper and smaller. At high feed rates, it's up to engineering and testing to make sure you won't over duty the intermittent motor.

At the price of a pellet stove, the OEM saving $10 on a motor shouldn't even be considered but cash is king and the engineer is usually vetoed by the man holding the purse strings.

Multi horse power motors have issues with the allowable number of starts per time period but at that level it is taken care of by going three phase and using a VFD.
Fractional horse motors like the ones used on the augers won't have problems unless you're flipping the switch like a drunken money on crack.

Aaron

Here`s something interesting to add to the mix. However I don`t think this complicates the issue any further. The lower auger motor in particular should still be rated continous duty .

IEC (the International Electrotechnical Commission) uses eight duty cycle designations to describe an electrical motors operating conditions:

S1 Continuous duty The motor works at a constant load for enough time to reach temperature equilibrium.
S2 Short-time duty The motor works at a constant load, but not long enough to reach temperature equilibrium. The rest periods are long enough for the motor to reach ambient temperature.
S3 Intermittent periodic duty Sequential, identical run and rest cycles with constant load. Temperature equilibrium is never reached. Starting current has little effect on temperature rise.
S4 Intermittent periodic duty with starting Sequential, identical start, run and rest cycles with constant load. Temperature equilibrium is not reached, but starting current affects temperature rise.
S5 Intermittent periodic duty with electric braking Sequential, identical cycles of starting, running at constant load and running with no load. No rest periods.
S6 Continuous operation with intermittent load Sequential, identical cycles of running with constant load and running with no load. No rest periods.
S7 Continuous operation with electric braking Sequential identical cycles of starting, running at constant load and electric braking. No rest periods.
S8 Continuous operation with periodic changes in load and speed Sequential, identical duty cycles run at constant load and given speed, then run at other constant loads and speeds. No rest periods.

If it were me, I would buy a replacement motor that has a constant duty rating.

The starts and stops on these little gear motors will not hurt it, but the INT duty motor can if the stove is run on an high setting long enough overheat and fail.

Many of these builders are counting on the end users to use the stove on an occasional basis rather than 24/7.

Buying the constant duty motor sure won't hurt anything.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.