Intake duct size: Travis FPX 44

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwright

Oct 6, 2011
Little Rock, AR
So I'm finishing up the install on my FPX 44. We had the blower (intake) unit mounted under the house, and I want the duct to run to the outside. Problem is, it's about a 28' run. I made an adapter to go over the front of the blower/intake box to adapt 9" pipe. Book says max 15' run for 6" pipe, 25' run for 8" pipe. So I just went with 9".

The chimney pipe is cooled pipe and the intakes/pipe are 7"

So my question is this: If I'm running 9" for the intake, and choke it down to 7" right at termination to the outdoors for a groovy intake that came with the chimney cooling vents (I don't have to use those so I have them left over) am I choking down the CFM needed? I mean, really?

The anal-retentive side in me wants to run the 9" duct all the way through the wall, but I"m concerned with putting a hole that big in my concrete block.

I'd almost rather like to use the 7" intake/vent that came with the stove (this WILL NOT be seen as it will be under my deck) because it's a bit smaller and already set with a rain guard and screen on it.

Am I thinking too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.