Integra "Hot Cleaning" Possible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKBAGUY

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Milford, PA
Finally got my pre-owned 22 year-old Integra up and running today. I'm wondering if any of you users would comment on the idea of periodically emptying the burn pot by turning off the auger for a few moments and using a set of ChanneLocks (or similar pliers) to grab the burn pot and empty it into a fireproof container, then replacing the pot and turning the auger switch back on.

It would seem that would be far easier and more economical than allowing the stove to cool for 4+ hours first before cleaning the ash then going through the restart process.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
A 30 minute cool down should be more than enough IMHO.

A 30 minute cool down should be more than enough IMHO.
What I'm trying to avoid is the startup cycle where the stove dumps excess pellets because the limit switch hasn't kicked in yet because the stove is cold. If I can clean the burn pot while the stove is still warm, it would be helpful.

Sorry for the generic answer, But I don't have or know much about this stove. Generally all stoves can have the burnpot cleared in this manor.

You should be able to turn the stove to low fire and let it settle down. Then quickly open the door to swipe the burnpot. Some sort of tool while wearing a glove resistant to heat(putty knife or the tool the stove) may have been supplied with is usually used. Don't keep the door open too long or the stoves control may fault out. If needed you can do it again after the stove has been given a minute to recover.

Keeping the air holes clear in the burnpot should help make it thru the week until you have time to do a full cleaning(usually a weekend day where heat demand is lower).

Edit: Do a search on burnpot scraping, Many members here do it without shutting down the stove or removing the burnpot. Most stoves are supplied with the tool to do this as well. There should be something in the stoves manual.

Last edited:
Finally got my pre-owned 22 year-old Integra up and running today. I'm wondering if any of you users would comment on the idea of periodically emptying the burn pot by turning off the auger for a few moments and using a set of ChanneLocks (or similar pliers) to grab the burn pot and empty it into a fireproof container, then replacing the pot and turning the auger switch back on.

It would seem that would be far easier and more economical than allowing the stove to cool for 4+ hours first before cleaning the ash then going through the restart process.

Your thoughts?
Pulling the burnpot out when hot and trying to manipulate it upside down to empty would increase the risk of dropping it and possibly cracking the pot, let alone the fire hazard.
Burnpots are not cheap to replace.
Let it cool down

I was thinking more in terms of just grabbing the sides of it with a pair of ChannelLocks, lifting it out, tilting it to dump the ash, and then putting it right back in. No real 'manipulation' to speak of with that, but I'll keep your admonition in mind.

I was thinking more in terms of just grabbing the sides of it with a pair of ChannelLocks, lifting it out, tilting it to dump the ash, and then putting it right back in. No real 'manipulation' to speak of with that, but I'll keep your admonition in mind.
I looked at your post again and realized that your think your burnpot will fill with ash. Only burning pellets will be in your burnpot (very little ash)
The majority of your ash will be outside of your burnpot, in which case you will need to shutdown the stove in order to clean.
You will need to scrape the burnpot during long burns, to avoid buildup on the sides and bottom of burnpot.
I did not mean to sound "curt" (sorry), but eventually realised that the Austrolflamm is new to you and you have not been through a season as of yet.
Mark

Pulling the burnpot out when hot and trying to manipulate it upside down to empty would increase the risk of dropping it and possibly cracking the pot, let alone the fire hazard.
Burnpots are not cheap to replace.
Let it cool down

Not to mention one nasty burn if the channel locks slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.