Interesting 1870's hearth photo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Came across this interesting photo, recently. Labeled:

""Interior of Sawtell's Ranch." Men gathered around fireplace, Henry's Lake, Fremont County, Idaho Terr., 1872. By Jackson."

WEST088.JPG

Cool old pic. Wonder why all the peace makers and long guns are on the mantle etc. Keep them warmed so their operational?

Big difference between that fireplace and the one from the other thread ... definitely bare bones in the above photo.:)

Call me strange, but I want one of each. :)

I wonder how that room smelled... and I'm thinking more in terms of smoke than BO. (and "where's the wimmenfolk? or are they still waiting for them to arrive on the 5:30 train?)

Reactions: Ashful
I wonder how that room smelled... and I'm thinking more in terms of smoke than BO.
Funny, and I had the same exact thought before posting it, but I was thinking more BO than smoke. I've never been a smoker, but smoke never bothered me, either.

I hunted out of a cabin in the UP built in the 1800's that has an awesome fire place that was all stone and 8' wide. Had the hand forged swinging hooks to hold cast pots to cook in. I can imagine it was built to take some serious lumber in log form. Took forever to heat the stone up but once it got there it stayed warm. I wish I had photos

I hunted out of a cabin in the UP built in the 1800's that has an awesome fire place that was all stone and 8' wide. Had the hand forged swinging hooks to hold cast pots to cook in. I can imagine it was built to take some serious lumber in log form. Took forever to heat the stone up but once it got there it stayed warm. I wish I had photos
I think most of those large cooking fireplaces were run with pretty small fires in them, but likely a few small fires at the same time, in different stages for different cooking tasks. The typically un-damaged wooden lintel shows there were not typically very large fires going.

I've measured the stone inside one of my fireplaces at 85'ish, a full day after my last load of wood thru the stove. A few thousand pounds of stone can hold some heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.