Interesting APC 650VA Battery Back-Up observation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon_M

Oct 27, 2011
South Shore
Hello All,

I noticed something yesterday I found interesting. I have had my Enviro EF2 Insert plugged into the "Surge Protected" only side. The other day I plugged it into the "Surge Protected and Battery back up" side. The first thing I noticed was that the convection fan seemed quieter. I turned the fan on full and it felt like it was pushing less air. The voltage on both sides of the APC read the same, varying between 117.8V - 120.1V.

I am curious if the back up side of the APC puts out less amps and that slows down the fan. I thought if theres House power the electricity just passes through, hmmm.

Just thought I would share.

Take Care,

Jon

Alot of folks here are using Cyberpower 1500VA UPS units. I am wondering if a 650VA is undersized, and that is why you are experiencing this issue.

I have a 1000VA unit I was going to use but I think it might not be big enough.

Another thing that has been reported is issues due to using a UPS that does not have pure side wave output/

Does not make any sense : If the voltage is the same, the fan will run at the same speed/force. The voltage should be the same between the Surge and Surge & Backup outlets. Most stoves only draw about 70 to 100Watts when running (when the ignitor off), which is about 70 to 100VA. A 650VA rated UPS is more than enough, unless you expect to run your stove for more than a few (20 to 40) minutes during a power failure. Also, why would you have plugged your stove into the surge outlet ? There is no point to have a UPS if you do that.

Pelleting In NJ said:
.....Most stoves only draw about 70 to 100Watts when running (when the ignitor off), which is about 70 to 100VA......

I have to disagree with you somewhat there. I think that if you were to put a Kill A Watt meter on most pellet stoves, the running wattage would be somewhat higher than that. I know for a fact that my previous stove, an Avalon Astoria used 400 watts during start-up, and had a running wattage of 180.

Since MANY stoves today use similar (or the same) sized blowers and ignitors, I think your figures are low.

The Output Power Watts display on my Cyberpower UPS says my Ecoteck consumes 60 to 90 Watts when it is running. 60W with just the fans, 90 Watts when the auger motor runs (with the fans).

Pelleting In NJ said:
The Output Power Watts display on my Cyberpower UPS says my Ecoteck consumes 60 to 80 Watts when it is running. 60W with just the fans, 80 Watts when the auger motor runs (with the fans).

That is very low....I'm pretty certain that's not the norm for most stoves.

Maybe some members with Kill-A Watt meters can chime in with figures for their stoves.

Take a look at this thread, and in particular post #4 from Mike Holton of Englander:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/83569/

Pelleting In NJ said:
The Output Power Watts display on my Cyberpower UPS says my Ecoteck consumes 60 to 80 Watts when it is running. 60W with just the fans, 80 Watts when the auger motor runs (with the fans).

There are a few high end units that use little power as long as they are not in startup, but a lot of the stoves will consume a fair amount of juice. Stoves that run their combustion blowers full out will burn over 120 watts for just that one blower.

I was able to cut my usage by changing my convection blower to a more efficient one, if I can find a replacement for my combustion blower I'll swap that one out as well. That is a summer time project.

imacman said:
I think that if you were to put a Kill A Watt meter on most pellet stoves, the running wattage would be somewhat higher than that. I know for a fact that my previous stove, an Avalon Astoria used 400 watts during start-up, and had a running wattage of 180.

Since MANY stoves today use similar (or the same) sized blowers and ignitors, I think your figures are much low.

Oh Really ?

My Harman XXV uses ~95 watts once at temp. Blower on Medium.

Blower on low I can get down to ~50 watts.

On High blower ~ 165 watts

Kill-A-Watt and TED-5000 Verified.

thedak said:
Oh Really ?

I said most, not ALL stoves.

imacman said:
thedak said:
Oh Really ?

I said most, not ALL stoves.

On high mine run at 129 watts...when the auger kicks on it goes up to 154...on low it is around 80

Pelleting In NJ said:
...Also, why would you have plugged your stove into the surge outlet ? There is no point to have a UPS if you do that.

True but From my understanding (will need to check manual) The just surge protected outlets filter the electricity where the back up outlets just pass the electricity through with no filtering,, I may have mis-understood that though

Regards,

Jon

Pelleting In NJ said:
The UPS Battery Back-up outlets are surge protected too.

Surge Protected yes, but I was under the assumption that with this model that the surge protected only outlets offered "line noise" filtering where as the back-up outlets had none. Am I wrong???

Respectfully,

Jon

when we lost power with the Halloween storm, i tried my 750a from my pc on my stove, and it would fire it up, but it would trip once the convection blower tried to start. It's not big enough.... and that's the model bigger.

My obeservations with a Cyberpower unit: When it goes to battery power when the power fails the voltage output drops to exactly 120 and the fans sound quieter. Voltage from the utility usually runs at about 124. The cyberpower unit doesn't condition utility power.

DBCOOPER said:
My obeservations with a Cyberpower unit: When it goes to battery power when the power fails the voltage output drops to exactly 120 and the fans sound quieter. Voltage from the utility usually runs at about 124. The cyberpower unit doesn't condition utility power.

My unit will regulate the power with out going to battery if it is over 90 and under 100..it will add 12 percent...it will go to battery under 90 and will output 120....same thing happens on the high side

Status
Not open for further replies.