Interesting burn holes produced by primary air inlet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Mystic

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2013
Western North Carolina
Last night when I did my final reload the split in the front of the stove shifted and ended up nearly pressed against the doghouse in front. I generally leave at least a half inch space between the air inlet holes and my firewood so that the air can enter the stove freely. By the time I noticed this it was too late to try shifting the wood back a bit, but I wasn't overly concerned since I could about an eighth of an inch gap and air would be able to get in. A while later when I was turning down my primary air I noticed four distinctive round holes about an inch in diameter lined up with the four holes in my doghouse. I couldn't get a real good photo since I had to keep off the flash to see it, but the holes themselves show up well.

IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0211.JPG

I could see the air shooting into the stove and when it hit the face of the split it ignited the wood sort of like a reverse blowtorch! Fire shot out of the holes, which eventually grew to be about an inch deep in the split. Pretty neat looking I thought.

My Englander NC 30 does this from its single doghouse hole. Very noticeable blowtorch effect as I usually run E/W loading on the bottom layer. Fun to watch when the stove gets going before turning down the primary intake :)

Woodstove tunneling machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.