1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Interesting Cinder Block Idea

Post in 'The Green Room' started by Vic99, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Vic99

Vic99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA, Suburb of Lowell

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hass

Hass Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alabama, NY
    indeed!
    I kept thinking about what happens when water mixes with it over a long period... I didn't hear them mention anything.
    It really reminds me of cellulose insulation.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It looked like they were doing water absorption tests in the video. The bricks were soaking in a big vat.
  4. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    It's kind of like strawbale, but you could stack and finish them off easier. And fire retardant.

Matt
  5. GaryGary

GaryGary Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SW Montana
    Hi,
    Thanks for finding that -- really interesting product.

I talked to one of the folks at GreenstarBlox and got a bit more info.

It seems to me the key advantage of this stuff over papercrete (which it basically is a form of) is that they 1) they save you the effort of making the blocks, 2) they use a precise recipe and process, so the blocks consistently meet a standard, and 3) they are planning to have building code approval for the blocks in early 2012.

The cost is of course a lot higher than making papercrete, but it appears its very competitive cost wise with other wall building techniques.

I think the building code approval is really a key item -- I'm guessing it would be very tough in most locations to get a papercrete house bought off by the local building department.

I came away thinking that this was a really interesting product and it might be a great thing for an energy efficient, owner built home.

My notes from the conversation are here: http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SolarHomes/GreenstarBlox/GreenstarBlox.htm

Gary