Interesting Cinder Block Idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vic99 said:
http://www.grist.org/list#item-2011-11-21-heres-a-house-made-of-newspaper-and-lottery-tickets

A bit vague on the testing, but what a concept.

indeed!
I kept thinking about what happens when water mixes with it over a long period... I didn't hear them mention anything.
It really reminds me of cellulose insulation.

It looked like they were doing water absorption tests in the video. The bricks were soaking in a big vat.

It's kind of like strawbale, but you could stack and finish them off easier. And fire retardant.

Matt

Hi,
Thanks for finding that -- really interesting product.

I talked to one of the folks at GreenstarBlox and got a bit more info.

It seems to me the key advantage of this stuff over papercrete (which it basically is a form of) is that they 1) they save you the effort of making the blocks, 2) they use a precise recipe and process, so the blocks consistently meet a standard, and 3) they are planning to have building code approval for the blocks in early 2012.

The cost is of course a lot higher than making papercrete, but it appears its very competitive cost wise with other wall building techniques.

I think the building code approval is really a key item -- I'm guessing it would be very tough in most locations to get a papercrete house bought off by the local building department.

I came away thinking that this was a really interesting product and it might be a great thing for an energy efficient, owner built home.

My notes from the conversation are here: http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SolarHomes/GreenstarBlox/GreenstarBlox.htm

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.