Interesting draft observation while floor was removed...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunadan

Oct 3, 2006
Holland Patent, NY
Some of you may know I'm replacing my existing heart. Details are in this thread..

Anyways, as part of my project, I pulled up a section of hardwood floor in front of the old hearth, and the sub-floor underneath as it was getting punky. With both removed, I was left with 76" x 20" rectangular hole in my floor, and I could look straight down through the downstairs drop ceiling (tiles had been removed) and see the finished basement play room.

The interesting thing, is as soon as I removed the sub-floor, it was as if someone had turned an industrial fan on downstairs (or suction device on upstairs) and I could hear and feel the colder air being sucked up from downstairs into the upstairs living room. I'm assuming this was either a pressurizations thing, or the cold air was taking the temp gradient (up) to the warmer area.

Can anyone explain exactly what this was? Thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss.

I know there have been posts here about people wanting to force warm air down into a basement area, which it's been said doesn't really work. However, I would think cold air coming up from downstairs to the warmer upstairs room might eventually accomplish the same thing?

I'm not suggesting that someone put a big hole in their floor, but possible a couple "ducts" would allow pressure and temp to equalize between 2 such rooms?

Sean

Dunadan said:
Some of you may know I'm replacing my existing heart. Details are in this thread..

I hope you're getting professional help with that project :bug:

Houses are funny like that. If there is air going up into your living room there is probably a return of air going down somewhere else creating a big circular pattern. If one can figure this out, heating from a basement works pretty well. But trying to push heat into the basement from above is going to be difficult. The coldest air is still going to sink to the lowest point of the house.

Here's what I would consider. Your house is a big chimney and cold air is getting into your basement through leaks and then hot air is flowing out of your top floor/ceiling/attic at the same rate. Creating a flow which replaces warm air with cold from bottom to top. My house was leaky enough to do this with the attic access hatch removed and lots of bad windows allowing air in.

Not to argue, but if you can feel the updraft in your living room, you are probably getting a downdraft in your staircase.

I would definitely consider what Highbeam said about the house acting like a big chimney. I've heard that cold air always chases warmer air.

I hope you’re getting professional help with that project

If you consider the people who have supplied there suggestions here and over on the John Bridge forums professional help (not to mention lots of other Google searching) then yes.

Doing something new the first time is always tricky, but with enough research, and a "do it right the first time" attitude, I think most things can be DIY. Other than having a good understanding of what needs to be done, the keys I think are having the right tools, and knowing when you are out of your league.

I don't think I'll really do anything with this discovery, but if one could figure out exactly how to harness it, one could possibly heat a lower area, while at the same time moderating a main room that might be too hot.

Sorry if there was any confusion, I was just poking a little fun at the typo in your original post. Replacing your hearth is definitely a diy project, your heart on the other hand...

I think your experience is a good example of heat traveling in basically a circle and that it needs a return path. That's why so many times it comes down to moving cold air back to the stove than moving heated air away. For example, in my situation, the stove is in the basement and the stairway is my heat transfer path to the main and upper levels of the house. When things are cranking, I can feel cold air spilling down the stairs and hot air traveling up near the ceiling. The insert is on the opposite side of the basement from the stairs and this seems to work pretty well.

I'm sure that if I punched a couple of holes in the basement ceiling to the living room and kitchen floors above, I could improve on the air flow. For numerous safety and asthetic reasons, I'm not going to do that or recommend that it be done. Your experience does seem to suggest that my thought is correct though.

Sorry if there was any confusion, I was just poking a little fun at the typo in your original post. Replacing your hearth is definitely a diy project, your heart on the other hand…

Ahh...I didn't notice that. With that in mind, yes, I would have read your post differently :p

Status
Not open for further replies.