Interesting Hearthstone Heritage "discovery"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeathens

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Over the past few months (and late last burning season), I have been using a Heritage for my 1800 SF old drafty log cabin. When it gets cold (below 20), I have in the past had to cram wood in every 2 - 3 hours to keep the house above 62 F. I also had found that, in order to keep the chimney from overheating (above 800 F with probe thermometer), I had to pretty much shut primary air all the way - otherwise, the chimney temp would climb fast.

After reading some others' experiences with the stove, I decided something might be wrong. I borrowed a draft gauge from the dealer, and check draft when chimney temps were high - I found that draft was approaching the maximum 0.1" WC stated in the manual. Unfortunately, the gauge didn't appear to be too accurate - when I switched to the high range on the gauge, it would read 0.05" (vs. 0.09" on the low range). This was enough for me to suspect too much draft, though.

I started using a flue damper once I get the stove/chimney up to temp, and it is making a HUGE difference. Not only is the wood buring much longer, but I am getting much more complete and consistent secondary combustion. I am actually closing the flue damper to horizontal (100% of it's capability) and shut air control to about 1/2 inch open. The stove is now keeping the house above 60 F all day when the temps are in the 20s/30s and I'm at work (about 11 hours) - heat pump hasn't come on for about 5 days now. Also, to keep it really cozy, I am only having to reload every 4-6 hours now - it got down to 14 F last night.

Just thought some of you other folks might have something new to consider if you have been getting burn times shorter than what you's expect. I guess "don't blame it all on a drafty house".

Awesome! This is my first week burning with the new Heritage and I really got it roaring yesterday. I'm on here re-reading all the threads now trying to figure out the best way to burn it.

It certainly does seem to let a bunch of air in even when you shut down the primary all the way. But I also wonder if your drafty house also has somethign to do with it? The air has to pull from somewhere and if your house has very little resistance to pulling air from outside, then you probably get a faster flow up through the stove and chimney no?

AndyD1480 said:
But I also wonder if your drafty house also has somethign to do with it? The air has to pull from somewhere and if your house has very little resistance to pulling air from outside, then you probably get a faster flow up through the stove and chimney no?

Possibly, but I wouldn't expect it to be more than an airtight house with outside air supply. I think what is happening is simply allowing the smoke more residence time in the fire box for better seconday burn, vs. sending it (and more heat) up the chimney. Just my guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.