Interesting Idea - Firewood Sales

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats Sweeet!

There is a guy right down the road from me that is selling his wood the same way. Two pallets equals a cord and he is charging $165 per cord delivered. It seems slightly expensive to me but he seems to sell about 20 cords a year that way. I cringe when I see it being delivered as it was usually lucky to be cut split and stacked for 3 months before delivery. The other problem is how in the world is it supposed to season at all when the guy down the road from me has his completely wrapped with plastic so there is no air flow through the stack.

Lived in Terre Haute for about 5 years (Indiana State Univ. for grad school) - wish I was able to smell wood burning rather that the typical Terre Haute Stench - water treatment plant, paper mill, and creosote plant all in a row just behind Interstate 70. Oh yeah, that's where they decided to build the city elderly housing project too. Ahhh....good ole' terrible hole! Oh, well - Sonka Irish Pub made it all better. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Lived in Terre Haute for about 5 years (Indiana State Univ. for grad school) - wish I was able to smell wood burning rather that the typical Terre Haute Stench - water treatment plant, paper mill, and creosote plant all in a row just behind Interstate 70. Oh yeah, that's where they decided to build the city elderly housing project too. Ahhh....good ole' terrible hole! Oh, well - Sonka Irish Pub made it all better. Cheers!

Ah yes, the haute. I'm ISU alum too but don't live in TH. It's the closest town for CL.

Paper mill is gone but the creosote factory is still cranking.

I thought some awhile back about selling just a bit of firewood this way . . . make up a rack that would be 4 x 4 x 8 feet and then buck, split and stack the wood in the rack, hold it for a year and then sell it . . . but then I realized a) I value my time and would hate to part with any wood I've cut and b) Most likely most folks would not appreciate the fact that it would be a true, seasoned cord of wood and would just buy whatever wood they could find if it was a cheaper price.

firefighterjake said:
I thought some awhile back about selling just a bit of firewood this way . . . make up a rack that would be 4 x 4 x 8 feet and then buck, split and stack the wood in the rack, hold it for a year and then sell it . . . but then I realized a) I value my time and would hate to part with any wood I've cut and b) Most likely most folks would not appreciate the fact that it would be a true, seasoned cord of wood and would just buy whatever wood they could find if it was a cheaper price.

Many people in the Terre Haute area are out of jobs so there is a very good chance the person selling is unemployed and is just trying to make some money any way he can.

I also thought about selling firewood to help out with bills and such, mostly because I like to cut wood. The problem is that there are too many people out of work that are willing to work for any little scrap of money they can get (especially if it's cash and it will be money on top of their unemployment benefits). I value my time way to much to sell firewood for less than $150/cord delivered. I just can't justify the time spent.

certified106 said:
There is a guy right down the road from me that is selling his wood the same way. Two pallets equals a cord and he is charging $165 per cord delivered. It seems slightly expensive to me but he seems to sell about 20 cords a year that way. I cringe when I see it being delivered as it was usually lucky to be cut split and stacked for 3 months before delivery. The other problem is how in the world is it supposed to season at all when the guy down the road from me has his completely wrapped with plastic so there is no air flow through the stack.

That hit the nail on the head.

In my neck of the woods, MOST pallets are 40x48 inches. I am sure there are pallets made 48x48. So I am thinking it's a little short.

KC

iskiatomic said:
In my neck of the woods, MOST pallets are 40x48 inches. I am sure there are pallets made 48x48. So I am thinking it's a little short.

KC
Ja, that was my first thought too.

LLigetfa said:
iskiatomic said:

KC
Ja, that was my first thought too.

Me too. You get 83% on 40x48 pallets. Or 105 cubic foot "cords".

Status
Not open for further replies.