Interesting observation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caribfan

Feb 4, 2012
Southern Maine
OK. So I have 1.5 tons of shoulder stuff (MWP) and 1.5 tons of good stuff (Spruce Pointe and Lacrete) stacked in my basement. The interesting thing is that the stack of 15 layers of MWP goes all the way to the ceiling. The 15 layers of good stuff still has room for 3 more layers before I hit the ceiling. The same stacking skills were used on both stacks. Is my house sagging or does this observation show difference in the density of pellets of differing qualities?

I believe MWP are the softest pellets manufactured in the whole world. Scott compress them more, then charge more, then a great pellet.
Both blend and soft are not compressed well. A business model , but why?

You have discovered density

When I picked up a ton of Spruce Pointe last weekend the guy originally charged me the pallet price - I had forgotten that Spruce pointes come in 1.2 ton pallets. I thought it was odd that the 1.2 ton pallet didn't appear to be any taller than 1 ton pallets I had loaded from Home depot and TSC. I guess this explains it.

Yes, my Greenway's and Rockwood's fill three buckets per bag while the Carolina Wood Pellets filled almost 4 buckets. Don't expect the same heat value using the same auger speed/time or feed gate opening or what ever you use to control feed rate. That's why you consider them a shoulder season pellet when, in fact, if you readjusted your feed rate to get the same 'POUNDS PER HOUR' as the others, you would get the same heat output assuming that you had enough adjustability to do that. I was able to with my Quads. Wide open for the CWP's and almost closed for the Greenway's.

You're right, I use the MWP for shoulder stuff. I threw in a bag of Cubex that the nice folks at Southern Maine Renewables gave me to try and I was was amazed at the difference in heat output. Even my son - who eats breakfast with his feet next to the stove - commented on the HUGE difference in heat. I had forgotten what the stove can really do when it is fed the good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.