Interesting pellet bucket.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that thing is pretty cool, though a bunch of dust flew when she lifted the bag out. would be better if the bag was slit open more as the pour would be quicker with less dust being kicked up almost like pulling the bag away and leaving the pellets instead of holding the bag up and letting them pour. nice product though i must say

Received one as a Christmas gift, and I do like it. I had one brand of pellets that had a heavier bag, so it didn't do as good a job cutting it open. It's nice to scoop out some pellets from the bucket, then when it's a little lighter, just pouring it in. It's better than just pouring a bag in and risk having the bag touch the stove and melting the plastic. Anyway, lots of alternatives out there, but I do like my pellet pail!

we sold those things for about a minute or two; it was heavy, made a lot of dust when you emptied the bag in, and you could not scoop out all the pellets, as the plastic spike ran up a good 6-7 inches in the bottom and keeps you from getting the last 3rd of the pellets in the thing when you used the included scoop. also the price tag was over $100, so that pretty much spelled the end of it. boss ended up donating them to an auction, raffle, or something to that affect.

good perspective from another retailer. thanks summit. I called the guy and he was not interested in direct sales to retailers, only consumers. Glad to hear newf is enjoying it!

Saw the ad last season. Made one from a 10 gal galvanized pail with lid from Tractor Supply. Used a piece of heavy gauge sheet metal with "teeth" welded to a base plate. Used Liquid Nails to attatch base plate to bottom of pail. Painted outside with flat black grill/stove paint. When level gets low just pick up pail and dump into hopper.

I also made one from a galvanized pail.

Attachments

• 2008_1002Image0004.JPG
    2008_1002Image0004.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 540
  • 2008_1002Image0005.JPG
    2008_1002Image0005.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 581
thanks for the great ideas! i would think that the sharp end of a bagle cutter would make a good bottom. or any sharp wedge shaped piece of metal.

Got a charcoal holder from Lowes. It is a tall plastic container made for holding and pouring charcoal into your barbecue. There is no cutter in the bottom but if fixated on this feature, one could cut a board and attach a cutter to it and fit this in the bottom of the pale. I just put a bag of pellets in a chair, slit the top and the let it tip over into the pail. It hold one 40 lb. bag. Grip handles on side and bottom make it easy to lift and pour, or you can easily use a scoop. Lid is snap on. Never had a problem with ti coming off. It has a separate lid opening in the cover so you can easily control the flow of the pellets. Best of all, it is under $15.00!!!!!! If you don't like the looks, Lowes has spray paint made for painting plastic for about six bucks.

Thats a great idea save, i was just thinking in terms for safe cutting over and over. I usually use scissors to cut open bags. Sometimes when i cant find the scissors i use a knife. Im thinking of the safety angle these buckets offer. You never have the chance to stab, cut or slice any body parts. The beauty of the original product is that is super safe. I would let my kids play in that bucket. I am going to make my own as well, but somehow i want to incorporate a plastic cutter that is not sharp.

I like the old fasion way.....tear a hole in the bag and pour directly into the hopper. This allows the good pellets to go in first and any fines will be on top. That way you can remove them if you like.

I have a pellet pail an I love it. The thing is thick and sturdy with well built handles. The cutter works great, it holds an entire 40lb bag, and looks good next to my hearth. Opened 198 bags with it last season and I am very satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.