Interesting project to put out there.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soadrocks

Nov 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
Dear all:

I doubt this will ever happen, because it requires a lot of patience and commitment, but I will put it out there.

I would love to see a 2 minute youtube video of wood being seasoned over 1-2 years. The video would consist of DAILY pictures for 730 days straight. I'm just curious to see how the process looks. I know this concept has been done on

puppy to dog (one-year span)
People growing hair (one-year span)

So...why not a short video on watching wet wood becomes dry wood.

Just putting it out there...for any person who may think this is a fun project they want to take on.

Godspeed.

I'd rather watch paint dry

I would rather watch paint dry, but the process could be sped up by taking all the pictures, editing them into a video, and it would be cool to see. a Perfect Visual of the transformation of wet wood to dry wood.

It was worth a try.

Well, since you're on this site, I'm assuming you're a woodburner...

And since you're a woodburner, I'm assuming you have woodpiles...

And since you have woodpiles, I'm assuming you could theoretically take a picture everyday...

And since you could take a picture everyday, why don't we check back in say 730 days...

Good luck with the project! Looking forward to seeing your video.

I think its awesome of you to volunteer to do this for everyone.......lol. %-P

For an experiment I would think a picture daily of this would be way too much. After all, there really is not much change in the wood. It would also depend on how and where the wood is stacked.

Probably a better way would be to do this with weight (and possibly measurement) but not daily for sure. Maybe monthly? I'd think not more than twice per month maximum. Just so you can see, we stack wood approximately 4 1/2' high. Stacking in March or April right after splitting we find that ash will shrink down to 4' or less by late fall. After that there is very little change because the big evaporation happens quite fast and then slows down a lot.

Put it in the old ladies clothes dryer and every hour pull it out and take a pic.Oh! 1 more thing,get earplugs.Throw the cat in with it,it'll make less noise.lol Don't sound like fun but good luck with it and hope ya find a video.

I take almost daily strolls to the back stacks, but don't take the camera with me. I sometimes have the cell phone, which has a cam, but forget to take it out of my pocket.
The wood doesn't really change too much from day to day, except when it rains or gets wet or it's pretty humid out, then the checking closes somewhat.
I think the concept has merit, but I'd probably lose interest or focus when other things come along.........oooooh look, a shiny penny!!! :cheese:

Franks, you're right. Vewy scawey.

Soadrocks said:
Dear all:

I doubt this will ever happen, because it requires a lot of patience and commitment, but I will put it out there.

I would love to see a 2 minute youtube video of wood being seasoned over 1-2 years. The video would consist of DAILY pictures for 730 days straight. I'm just curious to see how the process looks. I know this concept has been done on

puppy to dog (one-year span)
People growing hair (one-year span)

So...why not a short video on watching wet wood becomes dry wood.

Just putting it out there...for any person who may think this is a fun project they want to take on.

Godspeed.

Your idea, your project. Can't wait to see your video.

I think a daily picture is a bit overkill but why not 1 picture a week.. it won't take much effort at all but I'm not volunteering!

We will be waiting for your results Kaptain.

Status
Not open for further replies.