1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Interesting question....Hamers Hot ones vs. Somersets

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Paul Raz, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Paul Raz

Paul Raz Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    So in my down time while waiting for my stove to be delivered and installed (seems like forever) I have been pretty busy getting prepared. I think I'm pretty well set. Got the stove on the way, 2 Tons Somersets waiting , scoops, buckets, vacuum, power surge, even bought special glass cleaner. So I thought that I was pretty much set, that is until I came across a thread speaking about soft pellets. Don't ask me how I went from soft pellets to my next thing, but I started looking at the listed burn rates of the hotter pellets and decided to look up the 5 hottest burning ones and see if they could be found in my area. Wouldn't you know I found Hamers Hot ones and really freakin close to my house. Prices seem pretty reasonable as well. So my question is I know this is a Pro Somersets crowd/forum, but I have heard a lot of people saying how hamers were great as well. So given the choice of the 2 which would you choose and why?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. imacman

imacman Guest

Both pellets are very good.....it probably would come down to price for me. If the price was the same, I'd just split the order.

BTW, how much were the Somersets, and how much for the Hamers?
  3. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
    same here......Hamers are also bagged for TSC and others as hardwood heat, both burn excellent in my stove Hamers slightly more ash

around here Somersets 199 Hardwood Heats 179
  4. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Same here, Price would seal the deal. Both are the good stuff IMHO.
  5. Paul Raz

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    The Somersets I got for $209 per ton plus tax and $65 delivery fee the Hamers I can get for $295 ton but that includes tax and delivery. 3 tons or more they are $280 ton
  6. imacman

imacman Guest

There is NO sales tax on pellets in Orange Cty. If you got charged, take the sales slip right back & demand your $$ back.
  7. Paul Raz

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    You made me nervous. I just ran and found my receipt and I was wrong there was no tax. Just the delivery fee. So to break it down the 2 tons of Somersets were $209 plus $65 delivery= $241.50 ton vs Hamers at $295 for 2 ton or $280 for 3 w/delivery. $53 dollar difference or $38 if 3 tons
  8. Pellet-King

Pellet-King Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    Go fer the Somerset's!!
  9. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Here we go. OMV is probably putting a caravan together as we speak.
    slvrblkk likes this.
  10. Paul Raz

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    What are they going for by you?
  11. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    OMV,... you need to borrow a truck that comes with friends,.. get some beer and drive down here and pickup 5-6 tons! LOL!
  12. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    ......plenty to go around bud.. KIngston just got 22 more tons.