Interesting sight to compare year over year degree days

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawneyboy

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2010
NE PA
Thanks for that! Much nicer for quick monthly comparisons.

I use http://www.degreedays.net/ to get my data and have massaged it to do comparisons and put calculations into spreadsheets.

Both of those sites are GREAT! Thanks for sharing!

Whoops

Very interesting but 1 problem. I am trying to figure out why they set the default base to 60 degrees. I'm pretty sure that NOAA bases it off of 65 degrees and that was the standard. Hmm

Looks like there is no real "standard" and they give the user the ability to change it to what they want. One must use caution to know the setpoint when trying to compare HDD and CDD. Just shooting from the hip, I would think that NOAA would has the largest climatological data bases and consider their use of the 65 degree setpoint somewhat of a standard.

I also thought the 60* base was odd, but whatever - I don't know of any ironclad standard.

I was also thrown off by the need to hit the "Go" button after changing the location - although the other data fields seem to by dynamic without needing to hit other buttons to make them change. Then they didn't have current data for my town so I had to go to Boston...

Both 60 and 65 are used. It all depends on where you get the data. You can always adjust the degree days by adding or subtracting the 5 degrees as needed. In our area I believe 65 is the standard that all places have used over and over for many, many moons.

The "base" degree days can vary by house. It should represent at what ambient outside temperature your heating system actually needs to turn on to maintain your internal temperature setpoint.

From the degree days site:

"Degree days have traditionally come in a limited range of base temperatures such as 15.5°C, 18.5°C, and 65°F. It is rare for real-world buildings to align accurately with any of these pre-prescribed base temperatures, and degree days with an inappropriate base temperature are a significant cause of inaccuracy in calculations relating to weather-dependent energy usage."

All kinds of info on the site how to use regression analysis to calculate a base degree day setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.