Interesting thread on a strange attic noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
I've been following this thread on my second most favorite forum for some time now: Noise in my attic This gentleman seems to be having a problem with a loud booming noise in his attic. He has tried everything, as you'll see if you read through it. Nothing seems to be working and he's understandably at wit's end. Wondering if anyone here might be able to think of something to help him out. He has video of his house and the noise on the third page. And he's a wood burner, too.

I once had a painting frame rocking on a wall that was on a non-load bearing hollow wall that acted like an echo chamber.
Never figured out why it would move, but it was annoying until I figured out what it was and put some rubber bumper thingies on the bottom two corners.

My house is old and has wind load creaks and thermal creep noises.
They can be quite loud. My roof is a strange construction ( the outside walls are lower than the center load bearing wall , the perimeter ceiling is actually partially the roof rafters rather than ceiling joists, makes for some interesting flexing)

OMG! This is a heck of a read, thanks for sharing. This guy is darn near a neighbor, I may have to check this out in person. I can only imagine what this must be like, kudo's to Cody for not moving out by now!

yeah, heck of a story. My guess is - if he has a well and a pressure tank inside- that he's getting a drop in pressure, and a sticky valve. Thats causing some waterhammer, which is transfering that noise into the attic. Sounds funny, but I get water hammer "booms" from my pressure tank in the basement area that you can not only hear, but feel in the upstairs bedrooms. I'm working on that. If his water lines are secured to his lower walls and this occurs, it's possible this could be the culprit. Tell him "Good Luck" from me. JB

Ghost?

its his computer i bet. either a screensaver, virus, adware or buddy list making that noise. the computer is visable in the background of the video. unplug the computer and the speakers. i once had a bum pair of speakers that would pick up highway patrol interference at random times. maybe his do too. with new surround sound systems its almost impossible to tell.

after reading his entire story, i'm suprised he didnt try some things. i would turn off the water and relieve the pressure by opening a valve so the pipes are empty overnight. if that didnt work,
i would shut off the electric breakers before bed for a few nights. or try both at first. hes got a wood stove so he wont be cold.

I agree on using a "process of elimination" to find the source of this noise. Man, what an ordeal he's going through!

What's that one show called on Discovery Channel? Most Haunted,perhaps? Sounds like a candidate for a new ep. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.