Interior chimney routing questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darl Bundren

Jan 9, 2008
WNC
As some here know, I am going to put a stove in the basement. Originally I was going to go out through the wall and up, but what I've read here and elsewhere indicates that external chimneys generally do not work as well as those that are mostly indoors.

So, I get stovepipe to the basement ceiling and then have to switch over to class A, right? When I route the class A through the first floor living area, if I enclose it in framing and drywall with proper clearances, how much space will that take up? I'm thinking about a foot square? Will I have to insulate the enclosure that the class A runs through?

I am thinking of routing it up through a closet or maybe up the corner of a bathroom. Any pros or cons there?

Thanks in advance for your help.

yep you got it stove pipe to basement ceiling then class A the rest of the way. Depending on what class A you use the clearances will vary I bought the I believe the name is super-vent from Lowe's and it is 6"ID and 8" OD then a 2" clearance from that so about 10" minimum, about a foot sounds reasonable. unless you are going to breach the exterior wall in some way other than in the attic when it goes through the roof I see no advantage to insulating the surround inside the house.

Dan has got it right.. normally you have 2" clearances and you wont need to insulated the chase unless it penetrates the envelope of the house.

If you want to make the chase as small as possible frame up the corners keeping the 2" clearance with nothing in the middle, then drywall flat across that keeping the drywall just 2" from the pipe. That will give you the smallest possible enclosure.

For an 8" OD pipe you will need 2" clearance on all sides of the pipe or 12" minimum, before the sheetrock. If 1/2" rock, 13" total OD. You'll also need a firestop as you penetrate floors. No insulation required. Before closing it up, scrupulously vacuum out any sawdust that may have accumulated in the ceiling support box or firestop.

Status
Not open for further replies.