Interior Decorating - No really! Light Layout!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zendiagrams

Dec 29, 2007
Williams, PA
skinner.org
I have been rewiring my house updating all the outdated service, installing some new things. My next question is more for ascetics then function. We have two small bedrooms, 8X8. They both have small ceiling fans in the center (no light). The old wiring was a light switch to a receptical for a lamp. This is no longer the method that will be used. We have the larger rooms in place for recessed light fixtures and other task lighting. The larger rooms the layout was easier because of having space, knowing where we need the light, and allowing for a logical balance in placement. However the small rooms I can not figure out. Should I put 4 or 2 recessed light fixtures. Two will be more then enough for the non task based lighting. However in my obsessive brain, 4 (making the 5 side of a die) seems more balanced at least in order. So you thin - - - layout would be fine when it comes to someone looking at it for resale value of the house. The 4 lights seems more balanced, but when you do the spacing on them they would be pretty close to each corner, so that is a flaw.

More is better believe it or not. I'm in remodeling, and it's easier to NOT use one or two depending on light placement than to install one or two where they are needed. Also, think of install, instead of corner placement, maybe center of each wall placement. Just an idea, best of luck!

Decorators use a trick to make rooms appear larger. They place a canned up-light in each corner to shine up the walls and onto the ceiling. Amazing how much larger this will make a room feel but I doubt that overhead recessed lights would give the same effect. The problem with equal, all over lighting, in a small room is that it makes the room feel exactly the size it is. You need some play of light and shadow to give the illusion of added size and depth.

In small bedrooms there's often really only one practical place to put a bed. If that's the case with your rooms then I'd suggest mounting reading lights to the wall at that location and then reconsider the switched receptacle. If that switch controlled a floor lamp placed in the far corner, away from the bed lights....well, do you see where I'm going with this? A couple of areas of light will make the room feel larger than if it's bright all over and who really needs their bedroom as bright as an operating theater anyway? :p

If you are dead set on overhead lights then you might want to consider adjustable canned lights that could be directed at the corners or onto the walls rather than straight down.

Status
Not open for further replies.