Interior rusting in Lopi Leyden Help!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Willy2

Oct 12, 2009
Southern NH
I own 2 Lopi Leydens installed profesionally in 2007. When I went to prepare one of the stoves for the 2008 season (October) I was flored to find the heat exchange tubes all rusted as well as the area behind the fire brick was all pealing and rusted as well. The dealer had never seen this before and after negotiating with Travis Industries replaced the stove. Thinking this was a fluke I opened the replaced stove to prepare it for the 2009 season and have found it beginning to do the same thing! The other stove has begun to do it as well! I have followed the the maintenence manuel thourly during the heating season and have been very maticulous about keeping it clean. I have cleaned out the flew pipe seasonally and can't figure out what is causing this to happen. Please help! Is this Normal?

Rust can be a problem depending on the humidity,and moisture that your Lopi was exposed to all summer long. A little surface rust I would think is normal unless you treated the exposed bare steel parts with a rust preventative.

Im not familiar with the Lopi, but I have seen a lot of posts here on rust problems. If you do a search on " rusting" or "rust" Im sure you will find several posts pertaining to this problem.

What a lot of stove owners do at end of season is to give the stove a very good cleaning, and also many of us will spray the interior with Pam cooking spray or something similar to prevent rust. I personally clean my Quadrafire Insert in the spring and I spray the inside with cooking spray and I make sure I put a rag in the vent pipe to keep out the summer moisture that can get inside it. I have had my Quadrafire just over a year now, and the interior has no rust at all, it looks almost as good as the day I got it.

A little rust is normal, usually spotty surface rust on bare steel or cast iron parts because the fire burns off the protective paint that was originally on the stove interior and now you have bare metal exposed. I have seen some real problem rust conditions posted here, and some of the members have had the stove replaced, or have had to replace things like baffle plates, etc.

Im sure that many of the Lopi owners here can help you out there are several, and they are all very helpful. Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of helpful people here that have many years of pellet, and wood stove experience as well as some dealers and repair guys.

My Leyden had some surface rust this year as well. I got off what I could with course grade steel wool and repainted those areas with Stove Brite. The color is called "new iron" and I ended up getting cheaper at the dealer than I could find it online, about $8 for a 16 oz. can. Looks new again. I sprayed it with silicone protectant before summer, but that didn't stop the rust. I think I will try the cooking spray next time?
Mike -

I did get an e-mail from the sales manager of the place I bought the stoves from shortly after sending pictures and discription to him.
He said that Travis Industries has communicated to him that they have had some rusting problems. He is forwarding my info and pictures to Travis Ind. to see how they will remedy the problem. I will update as I get info. Thank's for your advice. No matter what the outcome I plan on following your advice at the end of the heating season. Makes sense with Pam treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.