Interior Storm Window Inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBNH22

Feeling the Heat
Mar 17, 2013
NH
I have double hung windows and I' recently caulked and weatherstripped them but I know they're still going to be a source of air flow and heat loss. I've seen companies that make interior storm window inserts and also video on youtube of people that have made their own.

I just wanted to see if anyone's had experience with them. It seems like if you could get them cheap and they're a simple no fuss no muss push in/pull out style then they might be worth it.

Thanks for the link Bill. I just glanced at it briefly and it looks good. I'll have to get into it more later when I have the time to read it.

We did our entire home 3 years ago with interior storm windows and really could not be happier with them. The thing we really like about ours is that they have 2 layers of glazing film which really gives us thermal efficiency. We did the whole house, every window for under $1200.00 and we have a large 2 story home. We bought ours right from the manufacturer in Wisconsin, I think the company is Energy Wise Mfg. they were the only ones that made them double glazed and the good thing about it was they were actually less expensive than others that we priced that were only single glazed. Don't think twice about getting these, we leave them in all year to save on A/C costs too. We bought a bunch more to give to our daughter and son-in-law for their home as a Christmas present this year. My wife just looked up that companies web address, www.energywisemfg.com

I made some of these,

Basically a wood frame with a shrink film on each side and foam to seal the edges.
Cost about $10 to make. Seem to work well. I used to get condensation and mold on the window frame, with the inserts it stopped.
PDR_0002.JPG

Check out Gary's site builditsolar.com. There's a whole section devoted to this topic.

Why not just buy sash packs? AKA replacement windows. They are easy to install if you old windows are leaky

Status
Not open for further replies.