interior stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksbstudio

Jan 4, 2012
Northern MN
Greetings from the Great North Woods. This is my first post and I appreciate your patience. I am trying to determine where to put my wood stove. I have a newly constructed studio, with most of the exterior work done. Before I start wiring/pluming/insulating and other interior stuff I would like to put in my wood stove. the structure is on a concrete slab 24x36' with 12' high walls and a vaulted ceiling (scissor trusses). my roof pitch is 10x12. My question is; is having a lengthy stove pipe (interior) something I need to be concerned about?.... meaning, is this going to create a situation? I think it will be well over 14' or higher before it starts the exit into the roof. thanks.....

Welcome to the site.

There are people running similar setups both with single wall and double wall pipe. Double wall pipe would keep the pipe temps up a bit more, but if it's a straight shot up and out they should be traveling fast enough even through single wall that it shouldn't be much of an issue. If you do use single wall for a long stretch like that, I'd recommend using welded pipe / heavier gauge pipe that can be found at stove shops versus basic pipe you'll find at a big box store.

For your setup, the largest thing I'd be concerned with is making sure you meet the 10-3-2 rule. Make sure that the top of the chimney is 3 feet higher than the roof itself, and at least 2 feet higher than any roof structure within 10 feet of it.

pen

Okay here is the question showing my ignorance: you said "but if its a straight shot up and out they should be traveling fast enough", my question is; what should be traveling fast enough? all I can think of is heat molecules.

I'd recommend going to double-wall pipe if the connector length is greater than 6-8ft..

Status
Not open for further replies.