Interior Wood Boilers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vanhoesenj

Oct 18, 2006
Hi all -

I did a search for wood boilers, but they are mainly describing a few outside models. I've read up on the Eko, Tarm, and Viesmann boilers but they are all gassification type models (very expensive). Are there any manufacturers making interior wood burning boilers (for hot water) that aren't gassification or that expensive? Yikes! A friend has an OLD wood burning boiler with low efficiency, but I thought I"d seen a higher efficiency model in the last few years but can't seem to find it.

Thanks for any advice or directions!
cheers
John

Do an "advanced search" for "biasi" here on the boiler room on hearth- and you'll see some discussions of a Biasi that is less expensive than the gasifiers ( but also less efficient )- but lots less expensive than the gasifiers.

The gasifiers make a big leap in the efficiency over the prior ones.

Or look around for a used older Tarm, or, if you are anywhere within driving distance of VT, and might consider rigging a big floor grate or some ducts for hot air from a wood-aid furnace that's built like a locomotive, is only 11 years old and in well-cared-for shape, and will deliver lots of heat as long as someone is around to feed it logs, ask me about my Sam Daniels wood furnace that I am selling because I am replacing it with a gasifier + storage. The Daniels is a _great_ unit for what it is (only a direct hit from an artillery shell would damage it), and in many ways I hate to part with it-- I just want something that can burn wood and also heat the house for extended periods while I am away and not here to feed it logs.

If you want low tech, low cost, it's my opinion that wood/ air actually is easier to a lot easier to install, implement and run, trouble-free, than wood/ hydronic. I've done the wood/ air with satisfaction for 10+ years, but now want and am going to make the leap to the far higher efficiency and "steady heat" that only gasification + storage will really offer.

The difference is like Bronze Age vs Rocket Science. I've enjoyed my time in the Bronze Age, knowing my house was "y2k ready" because my heat system was so retro it'd work on gravity air convection if the power was off for a long time- but now I am ready to mess with the rocket science of gasifiers + storage, in the seemingly achievable hope that I can burn only a moderately larger amount of wood, with a lot more comfort, and a lot less oil kicking on for backup while I am at the day job or away over a weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.