Intermitent combustion fan operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssbots

Feb 4, 2013
We have a Whitfield Profile 30 pellet stove that runs on a thermostat. The stove runs well for 2-3 days being shut down and cleaned every day. You notice that part of the house starting to cool down so you check the stove. The flame is lazy, the convection fan is running, it is feeding pellets but no combustion fan operation. While the stove is running in this condition if you put a voltmeter across the 2 wires for the combustion fan there is 115v. If you use jumper wires to apply an outside source to the combustion fan motor it will run fine. If the combustion fan motor is plugged back into the wiring harness of the stove it does not run. What could be the problem other than the board?

Great. I have checked the connections and see no problem. I sent the board out for repair already and told the guy that it was an intermittent problem. He said he checked the board (for $118) and it was OK. The trouble is that the problem is intermittent and if the board is not completely broken he may have missed the real problem. I am thankful for the help that you all give on this board.

Oxidation or lack of a solid connection can be a problem to find but the places to check are the connections from the motor along the wires all the way to the control board. Sometimes the plugs get crimped or the sockets get loose.

I'll add that the control board failure could be thermo related.

I've been thinking about other things that can happen and remembered that you may want to clean your vent system, the motor on your combustion blower (especially the area with the cooling fan blades) and oil it if it is oil-able. they have thermal protection which basically stops the motor then when the temperature drops far enough the motor starts up again. Any dirt in the vent system can retard the exhaust air flow such that the temperature at the blower gets very hot and it stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.