Intermittent operation of CAB50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nom de plume

Jan 23, 2016
SE Michigan
Greetings, I have searched for a similar thread regarding intermittent lighting/operation of a heatilator cab50 stove. Most posts are complaints of hard failures and that certainly makes for an easier diagnosis. My stove has failed to light for the fourth time yesterday. Each time it has failed the red call light is on(not blinking) and the last two times the burn pot has pellets in it. Setting the t-stat below room temp and then back up resolves the issue for days if not weeks. The t-stat is the Lux brand which came with the stove. Daily burn pot maintenance and five bag vacuuming are being done. A grand total of 34 bags of pellets have been burned. Anyone who has any thoughts on this or who recalls a thread would be appreciated.

Try opening up your hopper feed gate more to ensure more pellets are in fire pot when it relights.

During a relight attempt, can you see the igniter glowing red when ash pan is pulled out?

Potential for intermittent open circuit between stove and thermostat if screw connections are loose.

In my opinion these stoves are not as reliable in restarts as my other stoves (st croix and harman). I set my cab thermostat really high and run it on low and medium so it doesn't shut down but every 4 days when i dump the fire pot and clean up ash.

If feed gate is set too low on mine it flames out on Medium setting, but runs well on low. Opening the gate a bit then generates huge flame length, so too sensitive.

Try opening up your hopper feed gate more to ensure more pellets are in fire pot when it relights.

During a relight attempt, can you see the igniter glowing red when ash pan is pulled out?

Potential for intermittent open circuit between stove and thermostat if screw connections are loose.

In my opinion these stoves are not as reliable in restarts as my other stoves (st croix and harman). I set my cab thermostat really high and run it on low and medium so it doesn't shut down but every 4 days when i dump the fire pot and clean up ash.

If feed gate is set too low on mine it flames out on Medium setting, but runs well on low. Opening the gate a bit then generates huge flame length, so too sensitive.

Well as usual my issue has not re-occurred. The relight failures happen when I'm not around so I can't say if the igniter was glowing. I checked for loose t-stat wires and found them tight. I've always run it on the medium setting and it has never stopped burning until the thermostat opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.