Internal blower installation for Opel 3 - help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twerner

Dec 8, 2015
Issaquah, WA
Hi all,

We're replacing our existing fireplace with an Opel 3 fireplace and new chimney this week (following a chimney-related fire!). Tomorrow our electrician will be here to provide a power source for the internal blower (FO-FDHB5-N). Problem is, I'm confused what we need to tell him. Here are some of my questions:

1 - Should he install an outlet for the fireplace or hard wire (110V) directly to the blower?
2 - Do we need both the Variable Speed Switch and Manual Bypass Switch? I can't tell if the Variable Speed Switch can be used to shut off the blower (if it's too loud) or if you need the Bypass Switch for that.
3 - If the blower fails in the future, do you have to pull the entire fireplace out to fix it? If so, I'm wondering if they should create an access panel from the exterior wall/chimney?

Thanks,
Tom

1- there is a distrabution block under the unit and that is where power is sent to. No need for a outlet box under the unit.
2- a varible can be added in to control the fan, it can either be put on the wall or under the unit.
3- as long as your leaving the bottem louvre exposed you can change out the fan through that space. If your going to block it off do it is a way that you can remove it, as thats your only access point for the fan.
Here's a link to ICC instructions and there's diagrams further down that show most of the details that you need. http://www.icc-rsf.com/c/iccrsf/file_db/foyers_options.pdf/FO-FDHB5-N-2012-11.pdf

Reactions: begreen
Thanksf or yourh help! Do you know if the variable switch can be used to turn off the blower if needed, by turning it all the way down?

yup it can

Cool, that's what I needed to hear. I guess the (optional) override switch is for turning it on before thermal heater. I don't need that, just the option to turn off if it's too noisy or we want to hear fire crackling.

Thanks Super 27 for your help. The Opel 3 fireplace is installed with stone facing and looks great (see picture). The only problem at this point is the bottom louver. It doesn't lock into place and occasionally falls forward. It looks like the contractors didn't use the supplied magnet brackets and they laid the stone mortar too close to the edges so it couldn't be used. Contacting them today about options there.

Attachments

• fireplace2.jpg
    fireplace2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 489
that stone work looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.