Internal Chimney, I need a lesson .......... Install, liner, insulation, questions...........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsie8

Hearth Supporter
I have tried to search the forums, but I am so new, that I really don't even understand a lot of the basics and lingo. I have a Hampton HI1300 coming and trying to decide on all the details of install. Depending on who I talk to, I get so much conflicting information. I want to know enough to at least ask the right questions.
I have a white brick/ rock, internal fireplace downstairs in the middle of my living room with a heatilator. The chimney passes thru the bedroom upstairs, but I don't see it. It is fully enclosed the wall. the staircase actually passes up the back of the fireplace, which is enclosed in drywall, also.
What I have been told is they will cut out the three tubes in the heatilator part so the pipe will pass. They told me they would use a stainless steel pipe.
That is really it. I have read tons on .........
flex vs rigid
single, double, triple pipe
solid pack vs air cooled
class A
block off pipe
put basket at top, fill with insulation and seal with silicone
supraflu???
replace screws with stainless nuts, bolts and screws
My main concern is that I will get a installer in here, will do a minimal job cuz I don't know anything about any of this, and I will have problems or my insert will not perform in the manner that it is capable of performing.
Thanks for all you help!

Supaflu is a poured in place liner. Self-insulating and becomes an integral part of the chimney. No idea if available in your area but there are other pored liners. You can find out more at www.supaflu.com.

When I had this done 5 years ago this coming summer, the cost was comparable to a stainless liner. Supaflu licensed installers operate as independent franchisees, so there may be some variation in cost from place to place.

Woodsie, I installed a 6" rigid ss liner in the existing interior 8" x 12" clay flue. I was able to use rgid because my chimney is a 20', straight shot down to a tee at the thimble. I chose rigid because it is more durable and it's easier to clean. I did not insulate the liner because the existing flue was in good shape and it is an interior chimney. The liner improve the draft and the performance of the stove. If you have bends in the "throat" of your fireplace, it may be easier to use flex or use rigid with a piece of flex to bend through the "throat". I installed the liner myself and the parts cost about $600. Hope this helps.

Jim

Get a copy of the installation manual for the stove. you can get it from your dealer or online. Your installer should reference NFPA-211 for the advisibility/necessity of a stainless steel liner. ask your installer for the brand of liner they will install. The manufacturers instructions must be followed. Some will allow for installation without insulation(and still maintain a listing) while some will not. Insulated is always better- but not always required or practical. Unless you are self installing, take a few minutes to aquaint yourself with the installer/their qualifications/insurance / licensing/ and reputation. The FPI dealers I know are good folks. For an install like this stainless steel flex pipe is the norm. With that you will keep open the option of future changes. Cast liner systems are great but they are not removable. If someone wanted a fireplace there instead you'd be hard-pressed to restore it. I install cast/poured liners but not to downsize a fireplace flue for a 6" insert liner. The HI-300 is a fantastic unit.Relax....do your homework..... and enjoy your new stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.