International standards for pellet fuels?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stentor

Apr 3, 2009
North of Boston, Mass
In another thread there was a discussion about how pellet fuel is labeled in the U.S. and Canada. Standards seem pretty broad in the U.S. and the consumer would have trouble verifying that a pellet brand meets Pellet Fuel Institute standards. The European Union tends to spell out its standards in detail for just about everything, so I did a quick Google/Bing search. I found this reference to standards for the U.S., EU and Brazil.

http://www.bioenergytrade.org/technicalstandards.html

Does anybody know if the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture has standards for pellets here in America? Are there standards for residential use pellets?

Stentor said:
Does anybody know if the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture has standards for pellets here in America? Are there standards for residential use pellets?
Probably not. If there were, they would most likely start taxing them...
The only standards that I know of are the PFI, which is actually a pellet manufacture, (kinda Ironic) but at least it's something..

Status
Not open for further replies.