Internet Enabled probes installed. Ready for foam!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
I spent a couple of hours with some leftover cat 5 and 4 probes and a Daq unit from control by web.

Pretty happy with the results. See for yourself.

I've had a couple small fires. I was very suprised to see how the tanks really equalized thru the open, but unused at the time 1.25 piping for the supply. I had closed down only the 1.5 from the wood boiler to charge just one tank.

Shut the other valves, and had a small fire going. Here's what it shows.

Unit can be set up to email any one of three addresses for any temp you choose. So.. I can have it tell the wife to load when I'm away and it gets to 140 top of tank. Then have it email me so I can remind her when it gets to 135! :)

JP

Attachments

• IMG_0594.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 348
Oh.. and usually the first question. It was 205 bucks including shipping. Assuming you have a wired internet connection in the boiler room and some 22 gauge wire haning around.

You can tie all the wiring for the probes together. They are digital so they sort themselves out. It's 3 wire. Power, Ground, Data.

I had T's with a thermowell put in the in and out plumbing ports of tank. So in reality it reads to and from wood boiler during pump operation.. then tank temp when it shuts down. I'm quite impressed with the stratification.

JP

Don't be shy! What parts are you using? I glanced at their web page http://www.controlbyweb.com/products.html but you have to click each item to see the price. The X-300 8 channel looks real nice (239 + 10/sensor).

Don't be shy! What parts are you using? I glanced at their web page http://www.controlbyweb.com/products.html but you have to click each item to see the price. The X-300 8 channel looks real nice (239 + 10/sensor).
I went so far as to have the X300 in my cart. Then I found that the DAQ was cheaper and did everything that I wanted. It's the part called temperature module when you click on "products" 139 bucks. Then you need to buy a power supply and the sensors. Seemed to me that the cheaper one just didn't do data logging. I wasn't as concerned about that. I'll eventually add some LEDs to it. But for now an old laptop with no other uses has been pressed into service as a display.

Just thought I'd share. This is an older thread...

It's nice to "check" and see how the burn is going, without even going downstairs. Plenty of BTUs moving down there. Runs about 24GPM.. so the end of the burn's got plenty of oomph.

PDF of screen shot attached. I can check from any PC in the house. I didn't bother to spend the dough to be able to check from offsite, or data log.

JP

Attachments

• webrelay.pdf
    23.2 KB · Views: 300
doing some research on these. seems like for an extra $80 or so you get power supply, twice as many inputs, and data logging with the X-300. am i missing anything?
can you easily set these up to display on a TV or computer monitor without computer in the boiler room as well as having the internet capability?
JP, what are you doing with LEDs?

I didn't do a thing with the LEDs. Any computer which is connected to the same wireless in my house can display the temps.

the x300 makes it so that you can data log, AND you can make the address a static IP.. so you could access your temps from any computer on the internet anywhere.

I decided I didn't need to do that.

I thought it saved over a hundred bucks though.

To clarify... you don't need ANY computer in the boiler room. You need an ethernet cable to plug into the DAQ. Then any computer on that same network, wired or wireless, can be used to setup, or display temps.

JP

I'll eventually add some LEDs to it.
what does this mean? LED display near the tank?

my boiler room will be out in the barn so i thought it may be nice to have a display there but i guess it really dont matter. can always pull up the iphone if i went with the x300.

thanks for your help.

The unit has a couple of relays. I thought about adding a light or two. You can set the relays however you want. Green for tank top above 150 lets say. Then a red LED light for tank bottom below 130 degrees.

I've got enough PCs and ipads and heck, even my nook has a browser... so within reach about all the time is a "computer" to see what tank temps are. I never got around to setting up the email function for low temps.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.