Intrepid 2 - Fire bricks or no Fire Bricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Popey

Aug 26, 2022
Isle of Wight, UK
Hi everyone, My names Simon, and I live on the Isle of Wight in the UK (its the diamond shaped island off the south coast of England). I've rescued a well-used Vermont Castings Intrepid 2, which I want to get refurbed ready for teh winter and to defray the eye-watering heating bills that my young family will soon be facing. The stove is cosmetically a little beaten up, but ok. However I wanted to ask the experts, whether it should have fire bricks fitted? It doesnt have any at present, but while I can see on ebay a number of suppliers offering firebricks for Intrepid 2s, theres no sign of them on the parts diagram. Also, I need to order a new damper housing as the one fitted has pretty much burn out. Cheapest I can find in the UK is £60 ($70) - Is that about the right price or can I get them cheaper anywhere else? many thanks Simon

Hi there; I'm unfamiliar with your type of stove and am in the USA, but found a store in the UK that may be able to answer. This is their website link to an Intrepid II

There are several models of Intrepid II (1308, 1990, 2070). What is the model number for this stove? This info should be on the back UL testing plate.
Has the stove been carefully examined for any damage or cracks? What condition is the catalyst in the stove? Can you post some pictures of the firebox interior and stove exterior?