Intrepid II 1990 - Total Restore?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan21m

Nov 25, 2016
Connecticut
Hi all - We recently bought a house that has an Intrepid II 1990. It'd be great to get this thing up and running, but looking inside, it...needs some work. This is the first wood stove I've owned, so I don't know exactly what I'm looking at yet. But judging from other pics I've seen on these forums, this is pretty bad. Here's my stove:

front.jpg front-open.jpg top.jpg close1.jpg close2.jpg back1.jpg back2.jpg

So I guess a couple questions:
1) What's the minimum necessary to get this working *at all*? Even if bypassing secondary air, etc...
2) Would you guys recommend a complete tear-down in order to get it back up to full working order?

That thing has been run hard and put to bed wet. I would think about getting something new and not bother with that old VC unless you like a real challenge and expensive rebuild parts.

I would have a sweep come out and inspect that whole setup before deciding on what step to take next, looks like water has been leaking into the stove.

It needs its internals replaced so not really a total teardown, but you'll need the upper fireback and throat hood, damper housing, probably the damper too, and though it's not clear from the pic.s, figure a catalytic, refractory and secondary probe. About $400.00-$500.00 worth of parts. How does it sound now?

If the stove was in great exterior condition, maybe, but this stove has been abused and ignored. Find a better foundation to build on.

Status
Not open for further replies.