INTREPID II AIR UPDATE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetmech

Dec 8, 2007
Dillsburg PA
Ok here goes. 4th fire after Intrepid II rebuild, I have added more chimney and im now at 14 ft... fired it up at 10.00 am today after chimney install & bracing. Outside air temp 50 degress, after about 1 hour had good coals and temp of 500 deg. loaded a little more than 1/2 way and closed damper to engage cat.. primary air still wide open. About 25 min later stove at 600 and rising, throttled back a bit but not 1/2 way and its cruising at 450. not to bad considering not real cold out. I had to open windows in room where stove is to maintain 73. This is not a large stove but its a serious heater... All for now, The Jet

Congratulations. Bringing an old stove back to new operation is a very satisfying endeavor.

jetmech said:
Ok here goes. 4th fire after Intrepid II rebuild, I have added more chimney and im now at 14 ft... fired it up at 10.00 am today after chimney install & bracing. Outside air temp 50 degress, after about 1 hour had good coals and temp of 500 deg. loaded a little more than 1/2 way and closed damper to engage cat.. primary air still wide open. About 25 min later stove at 600 and rising, throttled back a bit but not 1/2 way and its cruising at 450. not to bad considering not real cold out. I had to open windows in room where stove is to maintain 73. This is not a large stove but its a serious heater... All for now, The Jet

Did you get that glow from the throat hood that tells you the cat is working?

Hey VT no i did not get any glow.... actually im not sur how to tell the cat is working. I do see less smoke at top of chimney when its engaged also i seem to lose stove pipe temp but stove stays hot.. its not been cold enough to load this thing up so not sure how long it will go.

Thanks BeGreen, this has been a fun project. Im impressed with this little stoves heat output.

jetmech said:
Hey VT no i did not get any glow.... actually im not sur how to tell the cat is working. I do see less smoke at top of chimney when its engaged also i seem to lose stove pipe temp but stove stays hot.. its not been cold enough to load this thing up so not sure how long it will go.

My WinterWarm has the same small cat, same refractory combustion chamber, and many of the same parts as Intrepid II. It's tiny inside, 1.25 cubic feet, can barely fit four splits, but, man, what a little workhorse of an insert! Has been heating my 1800 sq foot Cape just fine with temps into high 20s. Burns overnite no problem. I'm still getting to know it, been burning it about a month now. My cat glows sometimes, and the throat hood glows soft orange. At these times the exhaust is zero smoke, not a hint. But I have seen the exhaust very clear and the cat NOT glowing.

My owners manual says the only sure way to tell is a smoke test starting from a situation where the damper is already closed and you think the cat should be working. Check the smoke. Then open the damper, check again. If there is a significant difference in smoke, cat was working. This is the opposite of how most people suggest doing it, but it makes more sense. Nowhere in my manual does it say the exhaust must be clear for the cat to be working, but I see this condition often.

I am interested to hear from Intrepid II or WinterWarm (small) owners about their techniques for lighting off the cat, and happy to share my notes if anyone cares...

VT i would think if your firebox is that small and it burns all night your cat must be working. The cat is supposed to create a longer burn.

jetmech said:
VT i would think if your firebox is that small and it burns all night your cat must be working. The cat is supposed to create a longer burn.

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I am new to cats, but this little insert has impressed me. I think the cat will work and does work, but I dont always nail it right when I shut the damper, and it fills the yard with smoke! I'll figure it out eventually. Hot is the word, I guess. Run it hot, damper down, run it hot some more, then ease the air down in a few steps. Is that how you like to run the Intrepid II?

Im new to this also , Today I let the stove get to 500 deg before engaging cat. as i said the stove temp continued to rise but stove pipe temp dropped from 375 down to 250. It took a little while but chimney got clear with just heat waves coming out. The real test will come when I load this thing up full... as of now its running me out of the room its in so will wait till cooler weather gets here. My stove is at least 15 to 20 years old and i rebuilt it last year. From what ive seen VC built a good product.

VTZJ said:
jetmech said:

Did you get that glow from the throat hood that tells you the cat is working?

sorry man, but if your throat hood "glows" your getting way to hot.
thats when the integrity of the metal is being compromised.

-jet, the combuster feeds off smoke, dosent love the roaring flame as much as the coal.

after about 1 hour had good coals and temp of 500 deg. loaded a little more (LET THIS load BLACKEN before engaging)
and closed damper to engage cat.. primary air still wide open. (CLOSE DOWN PRIMARY somewhat.. the Cat wants some smoke
you may/should have the primary down a little before engage)

About 25 min later stove at 600 and rising, throttled back a bit but not 1/2 way (by this point my primary is open like a slice)

when the cat is engaged-
you hear some new 'ticking' and if its real quiet youll here a slight roar.
griddle temps will rise.
the back of the stove will get real hot.... you'll notice.
no smoke out the stack.

also, i have a rutland magnet gauge on stack- when the cat engages- griddle temps rise, my stack temps drop.
ie loaded with good dry oak, cat running- griddle at 500-600, magnetic stack gauge reads250-300. (opposed to 600 minutes before engage)

ALSO- when the cat is engaged, you get this nice sweet smell outside- god i love that smell.

Burn without the cat sometime, you will notice that as you close down the primary, your griddle temps will increase.
By limiting the amount of primary air, to find the sweet spot and keep heat in the stove, rather then rushing up the flue because your allowing too much air inthe stove.

its all trial and learing man.
good luck.

Hey MD, thanks for the tips.... Im pretty sure my cat is working from what im seeing on the stove. Im ready for cold air so i can load this thing full and check burn times.. Have you ever had your stove above 650 ????

no, i'd be a scared whoosie boy...I have got a touch over 600 but that was it.
and to tell you the truth those crappy rutland thermos arent too accurate all the time....who knows, my 600 might be 650.

but from what i've heard its safely possible, but then it'd be too dang hot in my house.

one thing i learned early on, when i look at griddle temp 500, that does not mean the entire stove is at 500. (fire/heat burns upward)
when you engage the cat, the rear and rest of the stove really begin to heat up.... the piddly little 50+ degree increase we see on the griddle is a by product to the rest of the stove heating up....especially the back.

i run a comfortable 450-550 griddle temp most times.

moondoggy said:
one thing i learned early on, when i look at griddle temp 500, that does not mean the entire stove is at 500. (fire/heat burns upward)
when you engage the cat, the rear and rest of the stove really begin to heat up.... the piddly little 50+ degree increase we see on the griddle is a by product to the rest of the stove heating up....especially the back.

i run a comfortable 450-550 griddle temp most times.

Good call Moondoggy, It took me quite a while to learn the operation of my Interpid II as you all can see from all my
previous postings. I guess all stoves are different in operations, and all are subjected to wood conditions, weather
conditions, and setup. I have never loaded mine to the top due to the increase of temp. on the grittle when the flames
are directly under it...half way makes me happy :).
But I must admit, I to love that sweet smell of a working cat...

Status
Not open for further replies.