Intrepid II damper won't open correctly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwaterma

Oct 21, 2006
Central Massachusetts
Hello all and Happy Holidays,

I have a 1997 model 1990 Intrepid II that has a problem with opening the damper after it's been locked in place by the damper rod. When I want to open the door to add more wood, the damper rod would simply slide over the tab on the damper D-plate (but not touch it) and NOT open the door. I found about a 1/16" of free play where the damper rod fits in to the hole in the back panel on the opposite end from the damper handle. I made a temporary fix by fabricating a "shim" out of a washer and tapping it in behind the damper rod in that hole which forced the damper rod forward towards the damper. This eliminated (at least for now) the free play and now the damper rod engages the tab on the D-plate and the damper opens when I move the damper handle backwards. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem (the damper rod doesn't rub against the tab on the D-plate very much at all) and if so, how they fixed it. My fix is working well now but I'm not sure if it'll last for 2 weeks or 10 years so I'd like a permanent fix. Would a new damper rod that was presumably less flexible work?

Thanks in advance....

Bill

PS: I replaced the D-plate with a new one from VC and it didn't help

Is the damper tab bent out of position perhaps? Maybe you can make some sort of adjustment there?

I should add, you may want to follow the damper adjustment proceedure from the manual:

"When the stove damper is closed, the pressure of the rod against the damper plate assures a good seal between the damper and the damper housing. Adjustment may be needed after a period of time to retain adequate pressure.
To make this adjustment, start with the damper in the closed and locked position (Fig. 45). Loosen the 7/16" locking nut in the center of the damper. Use a 1/8" Allen wrench to turn the Allen screw a full turn clockwise. Test the damper for snugness, and continue adjusting the Allen screw as needed. Tighten the 7/16" locking nut when the damper operates smoothly but firmly."

Status
Not open for further replies.