Intrepid II Model 1303 Bottom Heat Shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RGH

Dec 4, 2013
Toronto
I am looking for some photos or details of the bottom heat shield for this stove. I purchased one second hand that is in excellent shape but the installer says I need the shield before it can be approved for use. I work in sheet metal fab shop and would have no problem constructing a unit but I would like to get the attachement details and sizes. Vermont Castings is very vague on the whole bottom heat shield.

(I posted this previously in the the wrong forum)
Thank You

If you have a 1/2 decent hearth, I think you will be fine to make something as I describe below......

Make a small bracket that can use the leg fastening bolt to hold to the stove (remove and reinstall the bolt through a hole or else use just a slot) - so that the bottom of the bracket ends up being at least an inch below the lowest part of the ash pan casting (stove bottom)....

Now make a sheet metal plate which fits on that bracket but extends to close to the shadow of the stove bottom - that is, it sill extend forward and backwards from the brackets. Hang it or screw it to the bottom of your bracket.

Here is an example of a bottom heat shield for another model....
shield.JPG
Here are some pics showing the approx. location of a shield. Based on the Intrepid measurements shown, I would say that the blank you would use (24 or 26 gas sheet metal) would be 22 x16, and then cut out (of course) for the legs.

intrep.jpg vivishield.jpg

Thank You very much I will make this up today and install on the weekend. I will post a picture of the part and finished work.

Great - just a note for future users of this info - some stoves had two models of short legs, short and shorter! The vigilant is shown in one of the old owners manuals with the "shorter" variety, those being used in order to get the flue height low enough to clear a fireplace lintel. In that case, a "double bottom heat shield" was sold and used which is essentially the same as the one described here, but with a second layer 1" lower than it.

In that case, then, you have the stove bottom, an inch of air, one piece of sheet metal, and other inch of air, another piece of sheet metal and then another airspace before you hit the hearth. Such an assembly would stop a vast amount of heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.